Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

No Lift with 37s... Anybody try this?

Old 10-06-2016, 03:51 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I have a buddy running 37's on a 1.75 spacer lift on his 2 door. He has also removed the fender flares so they will not rub. Just be sure to trim the rear fender pinch seam to keep from gouging your tires.

R/
Will
Old 10-06-2016, 05:15 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 133 Likes on 119 Posts

Just did this. I knew it would be short of ideal, but whatever. I rolled around (on and off road) with 35s, trimmed flares and some pinch seam cuts for a few years without a problem. I had KM2s and Duratracs so we're not talking about 35 full inches, plus I have zero rear bumper and a PS BFH bumper up front so it's not like I'm weighed down. Recently I did new wheels and tires, went with 37" KO2s. They measured in at 36.5" mounted up. With a 4.5" backspaced wheel, they rubbed on the sway bar at full lock. Fronts rubbed on the fender liners and rears rubbed on the pinch seams on heavy bumps. I could have done more trimming in the wheel wells, but ultimately it's just a silly setup so I threw in some springs (and shocks and related links) that I had kicking around. I'd like 1.5 - 2" of lift (the RK 2.5 springs in right now seem to be netting me 3 - 3.5") but I haven't found springs that short. Maybe a set of 4 door springs would do the trick.

37s (36.5" KO2) in back, 35s (worn to 33.5" Duratracs) in front. No lift.

No lift/37s

RK 2.5 springs
Old 10-06-2016, 05:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Christian13
I like that guys videos... kinda goofy but I like them just the same.

As mentioned above, gnarly_mike... search out his thread, starts off poorly but as you filter through the garbage there is good information in it.

Keep us updated with your progress.
Having said all that, LCG is much more than simply running a small lift, and that often gets over looked. Having done the LCG thing in the past, I went straight to 3.5" lift for this rig. Simply do not have the funds to do LCG correctly, and LCG done half way is not as effective as a taller rig. LCG done correctly requires belly-up, gas tank relocation, frame modifications, shock mount modifications and you still need to address all the things associated with the larger tires (steering, axle reinforcing etc)... big $$$.
To each their own, but there is My .02

Last edited by Mike H.; 10-06-2016 at 05:20 AM.
Old 10-06-2016, 05:29 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A grinder and sawzall will do wonders to make it fit.... Lots is possible with fab work... But as said uptravel is always the struggle on these and the so called lcog.
Old 10-06-2016, 05:35 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A guy out here in CO did it to his JKU. Nemesis flares and some trimming if I remember correctly but he obviously had minimal up travel.

I ran 2.5" and 37s for years and was very happy with the performance.

Now I am on 40s and 2.5" lift but that takes A LOT more work than the 37s which were already pretty involved.
Old 10-06-2016, 06:51 AM
AJ_
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Maertz
A grinder and sawzall will do wonders to make it fit.... Lots is possible with fab work... But as said uptravel is always the struggle on these and the so called lcog.
Uptravel doesn't look to bad here https://youtu.be/N7FdIFmvLdg
Old 10-06-2016, 06:55 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by AJ_

Uptravel doesn't look to bad here https://youtu.be/N7FdIFmvLdg
That shows nothing lol. 37s are not huge on jks so no lift i wouldn't worry. Hell i bet people could do 42s on no lift if they got crazy enough. Itll also depend on the travel you want. Some people want 50/50 ratio some want 25/75 all depends on what. Bottom line is yeah its possible.
Old 10-06-2016, 07:01 AM
AJ_
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Maertz
That shows nothing lol. 37s are not huge on jks so no lift i wouldn't worry. Hell i bet people could do 42s on no lift if they got crazy enough. Itll also depend on the travel you want. Some people want 50/50 ratio some want 25/75 all depends on what. Bottom line is yeah its possible.
It shows that you'er wrong to say anyone who does a low cog build will have issues with uptravel . It's a low cog build, has the rock krawler stretch kit with 2.5 lift and has what appear to be 37s. Didn't hear any really bad rubbing noise and saw some pretty good flex.
Old 10-06-2016, 08:47 AM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AJ_
It shows that you'er wrong to say anyone who does a low cog build will have issues with uptravel . It's a low cog build, has the rock krawler stretch kit with 2.5 lift and has what appear to be 37s. Didn't hear any really bad rubbing noise and saw some pretty good flex.
No one said "issues", its true its more of a struggle managing uptravel in a LCOG build. Your video shows nothing in reference to solely uptravel as you cannot see the suspension at rest. Properly bump stopped and trimmed you can run 37s at stock height. That doesnt mean your going to have great uptravel. I really dont consider 2.5 to be LCOG on a 2 door as it seems to be the JK norm to be honest...
Old 10-06-2016, 09:04 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Ajkaz

No one said "issues", its true its more of a struggle managing uptravel in a LCOG build. Your video shows nothing in reference to solely uptravel as you cannot see the suspension at rest. Properly bump stopped and trimmed you can run 37s at stock height. That doesnt mean your going to have great uptravel. I really dont consider 2.5 to be LCOG on a 2 door as it seems to be the JK norm to be honest...
^^^This guy gets it.

Also theres alot more to lcog than a lift height.... Ive seen guys with over 5" easily wheel tough climbs... Suck downs can change a lot also...

Last edited by Maertz; 10-06-2016 at 09:06 AM.

Quick Reply: No Lift with 37s... Anybody try this?