Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

No lift and 34 tires

Old 12-27-2013 | 07:10 AM
JK Newbie

Default No lift and 34 tires

Hello everyone,
Looking for some good advice! My current tires are starting to loose tread and I am wanting to get bigger tires for my next trip off road here in April. My current size is 265/70/17 with no lift kit. So far this has done well and I have not heard any rubbing when off road in the 3 Jeep Jamborees I have been on. Palo Duro, Ouray and Laurel Highlands. I do not have the funds right now to get a lift kit and tires in time for April but I don't want to buy 32's again do a lift when I do have funds and then buy another set of bigger tires.

After doing some research I found that rugged ridge makes a set of flat fender flares called Hurricane Fender Flares that allow 2 inches more of clearance for larger tires. Therefore I could fit 305/70/17 aka 34 inch tire! Whala! But before I buy the fenders and tires I thought I would do a little more research since it sounds to good to be true. Here are my concerns, will the tires rub when off road and articulating and would I need wheel spacers still? Thanks for any thoughts and advice!

-Andrew
Old 12-27-2013 | 07:17 AM
JK Jedi
JK-Forum Ambassador

Originally Posted by TexasJeep2009
Hello everyone,
Looking for some good advice! My current tires are starting to loose tread and I am wanting to get bigger tires for my next trip off road here in April. My current size is 265/70/17 with no lift kit. So far this has done well and I have not heard any rubbing when off road in the 3 Jeep Jamborees I have been on. Palo Duro, Ouray and Laurel Highlands. I do not have the funds right now to get a lift kit and tires in time for April but I don't want to buy 32's again do a lift when I do have funds and then buy another set of bigger tires.

After doing some research I found that rugged ridge makes a set of flat fender flares called Hurricane Fender Flares that allow 2 inches more of clearance for larger tires. Therefore I could fit 305/70/17 aka 34 inch tire! Whala! But before I buy the fenders and tires I thought I would do a little more research since it sounds to good to be true. Here are my concerns, will the tires rub when off road and articulating and would I need wheel spacers still? Thanks for any thoughts and advice!

-Andrew
I can tell you that 285/70-17 on a 2" lift with extended bump stops will rub stock fenders when fully articulated so I would say 305/70-17 are going to need more then an extra 2" of clearance. Maybe add some bump stops.

The front tire was not full stuffed because I had to stop because the rear brake lines were to tight and I was afraid I would break them. I need to get back on the ramp now that I extended the bracket.
Old 12-27-2013 | 07:19 AM
JK Junkie

Well you can run 35's with no lift with proper bump stops and regular flares. My bro actually ran about 1-1/2 weeks with stock suspension and no bumpstops with stock flares while we waited for lift to arrive. I don't see a problem with the 34's and flats. Maybe cycle the suspension before next offroad trip and add bumps if necessary. Hockey pucks work great as cheap bumps. Edit you'll need different rims or spacers to get proper backspace
Old 12-27-2013 | 07:20 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by TexasJeep2009
Hello everyone,

-Andrew
What width 34" tire? Id bet youll need spacers on stock rims. As for fender you could also cut your factory ones to gain clearance if thats an option. People have done 35s on no lift and cut fenders, but you will not have very much uptravel and should still adjust your bumpstops for the new tire size.
Old 12-27-2013 | 07:29 AM
JK Jedi
JK-Forum Ambassador

I should have mentioned my above photos are with spidertrax 1.5" spacers. this tires measured out actual size just under 32" so not sure how 34 or 35's are going to get by with just 2" more clearance. I have 2" bumpstop extensions and shock extensions. Maybe if not disconnected but still think it would rub.
Old 12-27-2013 | 07:38 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by jadmt
I should have mentioned my above photos are with spidertrax 1.5" spacers. this tires measured out actual size just under 32" so not sure how 34 or 35's are going to get by with just 2" more clearance. I have 2" bumpstop extensions and shock extensions. Maybe if not disconnected but still think it would rub.
if yours measure 32 and his 34s measure say 33 that a 1/2 difference in height. 2" should be plenty. If it rubs your bumps probably arent set right. If you trimmed your fenders or got fenders youd be perfectly fine.
Old 12-27-2013 | 08:20 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Maertz

if yours measure 32 and his 34s measure say 33 that a 1/2 difference in height. 2" should be plenty. If it rubs your bumps probably arent set right. If you trimmed your fenders or got fenders youd be perfectly fine.
Yep what he said ^^^^^^
Old 12-27-2013 | 08:31 AM
JK Jedi
JK-Forum Ambassador

Originally Posted by Maertz

they are stock bumps combined with AEV 2" pad on coil perchs. I was thinking true 34" vs 32" so was thinking 1" taller but yes if tru 33's vs true 32" . I know that with the 2" AEV lift if the fenders where trimmed I would be ok with true 32". I just put true 33's on (measured from ground to edge of tread) so need to get back on the ramp.

Quick Reply: No lift and 34 tires