Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

No engine power

Old 07-28-2009, 06:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its not like the 4.0l wouldn't be the same. Actually, a little worse...
Old 07-28-2009, 07:39 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ditch the snorkel. You can easily get a 10-15hp DROP from installing one, mostly noticable in the top end range.

Dropping to 35's would give you a noticable power gain, and you would only lose 3/4-1" of clearance depending on which tires you have. Do you really NEED 37's? Where do you wheel?

But other than that, trade it in for a 2dr, go with a manual, slap on a super charger, or swap in a Hemi. There is a bit of a price difference between a few of those
Old 07-28-2009, 08:09 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda
Just trying to understand, not being a pain in the ass. But where does this 10-15hp drop happen?
Most do to the long length of the intake. As an tube gets longer, the air resistance increases. To counter act this, it needs to get larger to allow for lower resistance. Most of the snorkels I have seen are not nearly large enough, and some actually get quite small in the corner areas.

In racing, for the best HP, you make that intake as short as possible. Although a slightly longer intake can give better torque by keeping air velocities up. There is a limit to how long you want it.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:27 PM
JK Junkie

The HP number depends on a ton of factors. So you may lose more or less depending on engine size, stock output, and the size/length of the snorkel.

And yeah, ultimately the individual runner length has a larger effect on HP/Torque than the combined intake length.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:57 PM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by O2BDrty
Took a trip out west awhile back and heading into the mountains the jeep had no power getting up the hills. Truckers were beating me up the hills!!!!! I have an automatic with 5:38's and 37 inch tires, superchips installed and a snorkel with a K&n filter. What can I do to get some extra horsepower going?
Are you sure you have the Flashpaq tune set up properly? Did you recalibrate the speedo and check it after? Somethin' don't sound right.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:47 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Omaha
Hail to the arbiters of truth on all things off-road.

Drty, you and sivan make quite a pair...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...4&postcount=41

I would rather have more clearance underneath than tear something up. When I had the stock rubi tires on the first thing that broke off was the stock transmission skid plate. So the wife said "FIX IT" I had to listen to her
Old 07-29-2009, 09:50 AM
JK Freak

Lots of good info. Thanks everyone. I appreciate it.

Quick Reply: No engine power