Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

No drill roof rack options, 2012 JKU

Old 06-29-2012, 08:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No drill roof rack options, 2012 JKU

Hi all,

Not much turned out on my roof rack search. I want to know if anyone has any first hand experience with a good roof rack that does not require drilling into the hard top. I would like to be able to remove the hard top and still use the roof rack. Willing to consider options including one that flips up and down if they offer them, or racks that require me to take them off and then remove the hard top and reinstall.
I just want a well made one (after reading a horror story thread about warrior products, hopefully they have improved) that can handle a kayak or two, bikes when needed, camping stuff, zombie bug out bags in case of the apocolypse, you know, the usual. If any one has good experience with theirs, please post and let me know. I'm interested in how and where it bolts on, the quality, what you haul on it, and if you know if it is compatible with 2012. Pics would be greatly appreciated. Also links to threads that maybe already answer this would be too.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gobi Ranger or Stelth roof racks fold up for complete hard top removal and the freedom panels can be removed without detaching the rack.
www .jk-forum.com/sponsoring-manufacturer-vendor-forum-24/alpha-expedition-gobi-roof-rack-82379/
Old 06-29-2012, 12:30 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nevermind....the one I thought of does not fit your build

Last edited by demtek9; 06-29-2012 at 12:40 PM.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:19 PM
JK Newbie

I had the kargo master congo cage on my 2dr. Tilts so you can remove the tops. A bit on the loud side. It mounted on the a-pillar and then had a brace that bolted to the rear side bumper bolts and followed the contour of the frame. There it pivoted right above the bumper. No drilling and affordable.

I'm leaning towards one of the Gobi racks for my 4dr..well made and sexy. Plus all the gnarly things you can add to it. Also a no drill rack and bolts on in the same spots as the Kargo master.

Last edited by enwhypetey; 06-29-2012 at 02:22 PM.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:57 PM
JK Newbie

Default Kargo Master

Hi heres the Kargo Master Rack mentioned in the last post . Ive had it on my 2008 JK for about a month or so . I use it to haul two kayaks around MI. so far its been fine not too noisy with the hard top on
freedom panels come off without tilting.
Couple precautions - make sure you have help to put it on and if you had pillar light mounts they wont work with the rack I had to buy some Warn mounts for my Rigids.
Is it as nice as a Gobi hell no but its also 1000.00 cheaper ( :

Tom O.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Mount.jpg
Views:	1159
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	335321   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front mount.jpg
Views:	1069
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	335322   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep Small.jpg
Views:	1174
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	335323   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kayak Rack 2.jpg
Views:	1889
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	335324   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kayak Rack.jpg
Views:	1982
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	335325  

Old 06-29-2012, 07:08 PM
JK Freak

I love my gobi stealth rack. I've only had it on for almost 2 months. I strapped this box with camping gear on it last weekend.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3028113248.jpg
Views:	1692
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	335329  
Old 06-29-2012, 08:54 PM
JK Newbie

Went thrugh this the first month I had My Jeep. The Gobi Stealth rack is the superior rack. It is made better, and most importantly it creates the least amount of Drag. However, It is near impossible to take the roof off.

I bought the Body Armour Safari and Base Kit because I have a hard top and you can slide the hardtop off pretty easy. But it is so tall with 6 inch lights on the front and 5's on the back, it just murders MPG's and highway performance. Another issue with the Body Armour is it is soooooo F'ing hard to run the wires through the tiny holes in the pipes. But it will except Thule racks for your Kayak and is pretty strong. I will put up pics soon but me and my buddies went on a week long expo of forrestry roads and national forrest in GA and TN with at least 350lbs on top and it worked great!

Conclussion:
If you want to take on and off your hardtop get the BODY ARMOUR

If you only take off the freedom panels spend the extra 500 and get the Stealth GOBI! (Still kinda wish I had)
Old 06-29-2012, 09:51 PM
JK Newbie

I personally can't help, but a few guys on this thread seem pretty knowledgeable: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-s...see-em-181613/

I'd personally like to be able to make a few mods to go expedition style like them. It just seems like the essence of a Jeep...
Old 06-29-2012, 10:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

X3 on the Gobi. I have had mine for almost 3 years and it is great. The biggest drawback is the price.

And yes you can slide the hardtop off with the rack in place provided you don't have the rear ladder attached. Personally I just leave my hardtop on when the rack is on. My hardtop hoist also doubles as my Gobi rack assistant. Further you can use you softtop up or down with the Gobi.

The Gobi is quiet as racks go and can take a lot of wieght. 2 kayaks would be nothing for it to carry.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep and Mt Ord..jpg
Views:	3086
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	335358Click image for larger version

Name:	On trail 2..jpg
Views:	1552
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	335359

OP btw I like your screen name.

Last edited by remark; 06-29-2012 at 10:28 PM.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:17 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can buy this Body Armor/Smittybilt/ JC Whitney rack for half even a 1/3 the cost of the above recommended racks. With the savings you can buy a Body armor rear bumper (or a limited other few) to make the rack completely bolt on and still be ahead of the game. Don't compromise, this works with hard and soft tops, requires no swinging and mounts 4 front and 2 rear lights if desired.
Rated weight per instructions is 350lbs. It's probably more than that. given it's 2" tube.

See my sig block for install with stock bumper (not a simple bolt on, but still bolted on.)

Quick Reply: No drill roof rack options, 2012 JKU