Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

No death wobble, just loose

Old 03-22-2014, 09:44 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question No death wobble, just loose

I have a 2007 2dr with a 3.5 in rough country lift. I bought the Jeep with the lift a few years ago, now it's time to get this steering back in line. I am going to get a new stabilizer, and a new ball joints. My question is, when I see tie-rod ends and then see kit of 4 ball joints, am I looking at essentially the same thing. Are the ball joints for these rods? or are these a separate thing? I do need and want to replace the joints, but don't need new rods. Also, am I missing anything else that would tighten up and return my steering to normal? I have not had any issues with the steering, just time for some maintenance. Thanks!
Old 03-22-2014, 10:32 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Ball joints are not rod ends. Your drag link and tie rod have the rod ends. Your ball joints are on the top and bottom of the axle C's, and are what each front wheel pivots on. It is probably better to replace an entire OEM rod if the ends are bad with something aftermarket. Better quality, rebuildable, easier job. If you have flighty steering and OEM front lower (or perhaps upper) control arms, and no lower control arm relocation brackets, and no camber bolts (bad if you do!), then your caster is way off because of your lift. That causes flight steering. Search the forum for threads on that if you think it applies to you.

This picture might help ...

Upper BJ
Drag Link TRE
Tie Rod TRE
Lower BJ
Old 03-22-2014, 10:49 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, that makes way more sense. Thanks for the knowledge!

Quick Reply: No death wobble, just loose