Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

no to 37's

Old 01-18-2011, 02:23 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no to 37's

I don't post much but I do lerk around and try and learn. (even old dogs can learn right?) Here's the thing, I too wanted 37's. KM2's in this case. My JK has a 4" Skyjacker short arm lift. I test fitted a 37 on the stock wheel yesterday and dang it! I just didn't see it working out. Yes, I did NOT have a spacer handy but with consideration of having those in there I just didn't see how it was going to work. Collisions with the frame and sway bar just didn't look like spacers were going to fix it. Bummed, so I ordered the 35's instead so as to not have any unnecessary grief. Sure wish I knew how everyone else was getting away with this combo. I'm just not comfortable spending all that loot to end up only having problems. I had 315/70-17 AT's on DC1 wheels before and no issues. Crap!
Old 01-18-2011, 02:37 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jeepknut
I don't post much but I do lerk around and try and learn. (even old dogs can learn right?) Here's the thing, I too wanted 37's. KM2's in this case. My JK has a 4" Skyjacker short arm lift. I test fitted a 37 on the stock wheel yesterday and dang it! I just didn't see it working out. Yes, I did NOT have a spacer handy but with consideration of having those in there I just didn't see how it was going to work. Collisions with the frame and sway bar just didn't look like spacers were going to fix it. Bummed, so I ordered the 35's instead so as to not have any unnecessary grief. Sure wish I knew how everyone else was getting away with this combo. I'm just not comfortable spending all that loot to end up only having problems. I had 315/70-17 AT's on DC1 wheels before and no issues. Crap!
not everyone is running a 4" skyjacker lift - maybe one of the shortest 4" lifts i have seen. even with a teraflex 4" lift which really measures up to almost 5", you still will have some minor rubbing on the trail. installing taller bump stops, a body lift, trimming your fenders or installing flat fenders as well as doing some trimming to the pinch seam and installing wheels with less backspacing is what everyone has to do to clear 37's well.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:33 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running 37s with a 2.5" Teraflex lift (that actually gave a measured 2 1/2" of lift), combined with the 2 1/2" extended bump stops that came with the lift. You need flat fenders, and judicous use of a sawzall. About 1 1/2" of sheetmetal needs to be removed along the front of the rear fender pinch seam, and about 3/4" along the rear of the rear fender opening. All I have is adjustable lower control arms. If I had adjustable upper control arms I could move the whole axle back a half inch or so, which would center the tire in the fender opening better. And, yes, the front tires still rub the frame at full steering lock. I can live with that.

Last edited by MOPWR2U; 01-18-2011 at 07:04 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:10 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by MOPWR2U
Is that trail damage, or are your flares just wavy?
Old 01-18-2011, 07:05 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats like doing the Jeep wave without waving, isn't it. No trail damage.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:23 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by MOPWR2U
Thats like doing the Jeep wave without waving, isn't it. No trail damage.
Xenon's??
Old 01-18-2011, 07:31 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jeepknut
Yes, I did NOT have a spacer handy but with consideration of having those in there I just didn't see how it was going to work. Collisions with the frame and sway bar just didn't look like spacers were going to fix it. !
We're they 12.5" wide or 13.5"?
Old 01-20-2011, 12:31 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the replys fella's. For this JK I'm just going to stay with the 35's for now. The thing actually does all I want it to do anyways. I was just thinking going bigger would be great but I currently don't want to get into all those mods. Instead, I'm waiting for the new engine to get here and then I'll order a 2 door and go all out with that instead. See you in Moab in July.
HAPPY TRAILS!

p.s. I really like that blue rubicon