Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Nitto trail grappler weight

Old 07-31-2012, 05:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Nitto trail grappler weight

Just a little tidbit for anyone interested. I plan on upgrading my base 16" wheels/tires with 17" factory alloys and 255 75 17s. Trying to decide between the BFG KMs (factory rubicon) or the Nitto trail grapplers. Same size, both load range C. I emailed Nitto about the weight of the trail grappler....58.42lbs in this size. This compares to 48lbs for the BFG as listed by tirerack.

Thats a pretty big difference in weight for the same size tire, but I'm not sure that'll deter me from the Nittos. According to their website, the Nitto mearsures a true 32" MOUNTED. Tirerack has the BFG listed around the same, but this is unmounted.

So....looks like the weight penalty is caused by a taller tire and I'm sure beefier as well, which is a good thing.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:26 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go with the Nitto all around better tire stronger thicker more durable. You might get more mileage outa the BFGs but the Nittos get it a better looking stance also are a very capable offroad tires an good on road
Old 07-31-2012, 05:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

The Nittos will last a very long time (with proper rotation) as well. I have them on 2 trucks.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:59 AM
JK Newbie

I just put Nitto Trail Grapplers on my rig , there great and not as heavy as toyos . But then again i dont think anyone is gonna have a gripe w/ BFG they make great tires as well.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:13 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

10 lbs per tire is hardly what i would call a weight penalty. if anything, more unsprung weight is a good thing. i've run bfg's for a long time and have always hated the fact that their sidewalls were paper thin. i run a set of nitto's on our dozer jk and they not only have tougher side walls, they perform much better on the rocks too.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:17 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

They are heavier because they are a thicker and more durable tire. Lighter weight = less material
Old 07-31-2012, 10:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have run both tires and The KM2 is a much smoother and more forgiving ride on road then the Nitto IMO. Lot less feedback in the steering wheel with the KM2 as well . If your mostly on road I would consider the KM2 over the Nitto.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

I like the NItto's much better than the BFG's both on and off the road. Looking forward to getting another set when I lift the Jeep.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:58 PM
EzK
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Trail Grapplers are FAR better off road than Rubicon BFGs. Where my BFGs would slip/slide off an obstacle the TGs grab tight.

They may not last as long though?
Old 07-31-2012, 04:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Buy the NITTO.

I have had the factory KM's then upgraded to KM2's... BFG's will last a while, but it seems to only have
about 30-35k of good ride/wear then they get hard and rough.

Though I have never had a failure, I am done with BFG. Currently running Mickeys and I am pleased.

Quick Reply: Nitto trail grappler weight