Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Nitto trail grappler vs goodyear duratracs

Old 07-15-2013, 08:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Duratracs hands down!
Old 07-15-2013, 10:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

I went with the DuraTrac's based on being on the east coast and all the good reviews I read. After having them for 10K miles and put them to some good use on the trails I will definitely be going with the Trail Grapplers next go round. They chunk easily and are not wearing eveningly even with 3K mile rotations and being re-balanced twice. Same troubles I had with Goodyear tires on my BMW. I don't think I will ever buy Goodyear tires again.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:57 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by coltc2000
on and off road Gy Duratracs unless you are in mud most of your offroad time. The Duratrac gets better traction in the snow/slush/ice and way better gas mileage.It does the job all around just better, it does not look as cool as the trailgrappler. 40k and only half worn (285/70/17).
x2. I had Duratracks on my Nismo (which I traded in on my JK) for two years, and they were outstanding. I'm sold on them and recommend them to everyone. Excellent durability and traction in all conditions. They don't sing on the highway, the balance is superb, and they look good. I got compliments constantly. They don't retain rocks, don't hydroplane, and I never once got stuck with them on. In fact, even in NYS winters, they made 4x4 optional instead of a requirement.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TruBlu
x2. I had Duratracks on my Nismo (which I traded in on my JK) for two years, and they were outstanding. I'm sold on them and recommend them to everyone. Excellent durability and traction in all conditions. They don't sing on the highway, the balance is superb, and they look good. I got compliments constantly. They don't retain rocks, don't hydroplane, and I never once got stuck with them on. In fact, even in NYS winters, they made 4x4 optional instead of a requirement.
X3! My Duratracs handle everything i have thrown at them (rocks, mud, sand, car sized potholes in eastern europe, etc) with ease. Lighter than the nittos...
there are a lot guys here with the nittos (1 jku, numerous land cruisers, etc)...we went through the exact same muddy trail. they got stuck numerous times because the nittos just did NOT fling the same amount of mud away...including the other jku...I took his same lines, etc.

Snow, ice, winter in general...i have been very pleased with the Duratracs.

If you continue to do your research and homework around the web (which there is a lot on this very topic)...you will see that the biggest complaints for the duratracs are: hard to balance and sidewall tearing. I can and will say that they can be a pain to balance...but...if you also look at the dates for most of the sidewall tearing threads, they are a while ago.

In the end...you probably already have your mind made up....if you flipped a coin with heads being Duratracs and tails the nittos...which way do you want the coin to fall??? Exactly! Pull the trigger and buy the tires you'll be happy
Old 07-16-2013, 04:47 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by ballistik_monkey

X3! My Duratracs handle everything i have thrown at them (rocks, mud, sand, car sized potholes in eastern europe, etc) with ease. Lighter than the nittos...
there are a lot guys here with the nittos (1 jku, numerous land cruisers, etc)...we went through the exact same muddy trail. they got stuck numerous times because the nittos just did NOT fling the same amount of mud away...including the other jku...I took his same lines, etc.

Snow, ice, winter in general...i have been very pleased with the Duratracs.

If you continue to do your research and homework around the web (which there is a lot on this very topic)...you will see that the biggest complaints for the duratracs are: hard to balance and sidewall tearing. I can and will say that they can be a pain to balance...but...if you also look at the dates for most of the sidewall tearing threads, they are a while ago.

In the end...you probably already have your mind made up....if you flipped a coin with heads being Duratracs and tails the nittos...which way do you want the coin to fall??? Exactly! Pull the trigger and buy the tires you'll be happy
I find it hard to believe that people were getting stuck in the mud with trail grapplers, while others with duratracs were going through. I have had my trail grapplers in extremely deep thick mud, and have never been stuck or had a problem clearing them. The duratrac lugs are much smaller and the people I know with them say that is one of the drawbacks of that tire...
Old 07-16-2013, 06:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
I find it hard to believe that people were getting stuck in the mud with trail grapplers, while others with duratracs were going through. I have had my trail grapplers in extremely deep thick mud, and have never been stuck or had a problem clearing them. The duratrac lugs are much smaller and the people I know with them say that is one of the drawbacks of that tire...
i gotta agree. not having been there, i would have said it was something different, etc.... perhaps just the fluke of the day....we all have them.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:46 AM
JK Freak

Goodyear Duratracs = lighter, quieter, better in rain and snow

Nitto Trail Grapplers = heavier, tougher sidewalls, better in sharp rocks

Both are good tires depending on your use.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:31 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ballistik_monkey

i gotta agree. not having been there, i would have said it was something different, etc.... perhaps just the fluke of the day....we all have them.
Agreed. I've been thru 2 feet of snow on our passes and didn't have to go 4x4 until gf mad me. Wasnt sliding at all she justs gets scared. My bro had duratracs on his truck and they were great for traction and longevity but they were EXTREMELY loud and wore funny despite 3-4000 mile rotations. It was almost have to wear ear plugs with windows rolled up loud
Old 07-17-2013, 01:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 37" grapplers MTs get pwned by duratracs in the ruff stuff all the time. The lugs are just too big! The "all terrain" in the description of the duratrac says it all.

Duratrac for the win!

Pro tip: when driving upside down with these (trust me you can), wear your seat belt or you risk falling out.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2
Old 07-17-2013, 02:02 PM
JK Newbie

Just got 315/70/17 duratracs 2months ago on my 2door and absolutely love them. They are not loud at all like posted above and they wear completely normal. I was in the same spot as you were and I'm so glad I went with the duratracs. They won't disappoint you

Quick Reply: Nitto trail grappler vs goodyear duratracs