Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Nitto Trail Grappler

Old 06-21-2011, 08:00 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitto Trail Grappler

So i've heard great things about the tire and i'm almost for sure getting them within the next month. But the only down side i've heard about this tire that it's very heavy and i've heard it doesn't really make a noticeable difference and i've also heard that it takes a huge toll on your gas mileage. So if anybody can clear this up, please do!
Old 06-21-2011, 08:16 AM
JK Newbie

I have 33" Nitto TERRA Grappler's not "trail" Grapplers, dont know if theres any difference between the two but i love these tires. They arent noisey at all and ride smooth on the hiway. I dont think they were a ton heavier than my stock wheels.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JeepJk1
So i've heard great things about the tire and i'm almost for sure getting them within the next month. But the only down side i've heard about this tire that it's very heavy and i've heard it doesn't really make a noticeable difference and i've also heard that it takes a huge toll on your gas mileage. So if anybody can clear this up, please do!
These are made by Toyo. very similar to the Toyo MT's. I was on the path to getting these but heard they wear terribly. Looks like I am back to the BFG MTR's.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:20 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by rubiman

These are made by Toyo. very similar to the Toyo MT's. I was on the path to getting these but heard they wear terribly. Looks like I am back to the BFG MTR's.
Goodyear makes MTR's and BFG makes KM2's.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by rubiman
Very few people (if any) I have talked to have had problems with Toyo's or Nitto's. I personally have a set of the Toyo MT's and they're wearing like iron, and I look to get plenty of mileage out of them.

Most anyone that I have heard from have been having great experiences with Nitto and Toyo.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:39 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nitto Trail Grappers were ranked 4th best performing tire offroad by tests done by 4x4 garage magazine. I just read the article yesterday. The entire issue was dedicated to tires. Pretty cool stuff.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:45 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by BigRedJK
Nitto Trail Grappers were ranked 4th best performing tire offroad by tests done by 4x4 garage magazine. I just read the article yesterday. The entire issue was dedicated to tires. Pretty cool stuff.
who wont the first 3 spots?? lol
Old 06-21-2011, 09:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

i have had them for a month now with several commutes to chesapeake, (i live in elizabeth city, about a 50 minute commute) as long as you do the chalk test for wear and give them the appropriate PSI, they are great, they are heavy now, i think a wheel and tire weighed about 115 lbs. definitely more than stock ones. But they are quiet on the road, not very loud at all. And are solid. I am very happy with them andthey look tough as can be. Definitely a nice aggressive stance. Mine are 35/12.50R17. Hope this helps.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:33 AM
JK Freak

I run the Trail Grapplers 35x12.5x17. I have had the MTR and BFG and these are by far the quietest/smoothest on the street and balanced spot on. Off road they clear mud and snow no problem. Sidewall is stiff like Toyo, so you really need to air to 9-12 off road. On road I run at 35, a little high but I commute 50 miles a day. Mileage is no different then any other MT.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mataylor1
i have had them for a month now with several commutes to chesapeake, (i live in elizabeth city, about a 50 minute commute) as long as you do the chalk test for wear and give them the appropriate PSI, they are great, they are heavy now, i think a wheel and tire weighed about 115 lbs. definitely more than stock ones. But they are quiet on the road, not very loud at all. And are solid. I am very happy with them andthey look tough as can be. Definitely a nice aggressive stance. Mine are 35/12.50R17. Hope this helps.
What PSI are you running?

Quick Reply: Nitto Trail Grappler