Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Nitto Tire Weight

Old 12-11-2012, 07:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those are the tires I run exactly. They are very nice I think. Two tires took zero weight to balance and only a slight index and the others all took under an ounce. They are heavy relative to many other tires thou just like the toyo sister tires. So 70+ pounds sounds about right. They are heavy sidewall ply tires so ripping a sidewall shouldnt be an issue, they are E load rating so I run at 28 pounds of air in them fully loaded, with bumpers, skids, rack, rails, spare, tools, compressor, etc. They measure out at 34 inches measure off the ground under that load and psi. They also are relatively quiet.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rays0852
So I have been all over the interwebs and used the Bing machine to search for specs on some Nitto Trail M/Ts I am looking at.

295/70/18s to be exact. Nitto site has them at a hair over 34.5 inches vs my current Duratracs 275/7018 and 33.2 inches. My Duratracs are 55lbs according to Tire Rack. Only thin I could find on the Nittos was an Amazon listing that had the shipping weight at 71.6 lbs a piece!!!!! Can this be right?

Its not even a full 12.50 width tire and almost 72lbs? I'm trying to go easy on my front Dana 30 and my wallet by not going with a full 35 x 12.50, but at 72 lbs I think I will have to get a PR 44.

Anyone think this seems especially heavy for a 34.5" tire? Any others you would look at?

18" wheel.....
I am sure that is right, maybe a little bit heavy. My goodyear 37s were around 75 per tire I think and my buddies 37 nitto is much heavier. a 35 with that weight and going to a pr44 would be completely unnecessary and a TOTAL waste of money.

Originally Posted by EzK
Tire weight isn't going to damage your axles.
Tire weight will damage your axle and so will width, not saying this amount of weight will but in general. Your housing most likely will never get damage. Ball joints, u joints, and axle shafts will go before anything else. If worried buy gussets and swap those parts out.

Originally Posted by rays0852
Thanks fellas....when you say true....do you also mean true to size or just very easy to balance and such?

By the way...I know KM2sand some other tires run notoriously small when mounted....how about the Nittos?

My Duratracs measure out 32.3 mounted....on a published size of 33.2 running 28-30 psi...I'd say that's pretty good.
They run very true to size, at least in 37's and they balance very easy.

Originally Posted by TheTerminator
Plenty of people run a 35", heavy or not, on a D30 without problems. Some even run 37's. I wouldn't stress it. If you carelessly bounce on rocks, then you will break anything out there.
I ran 37 goodyear kevlar and wheeled with it a handful of times before selling them. I am on 40's now. Still have a dana 30 up front. No I wont offroad it but as a pavement princess while I build my 60 it is fine. Like I said above only problems ive had are ball joints. These will go way before anything else. I would not hesitate to run a 40 on a build dana 44. Wouldnt even think twice about running 37s on my 30 again. 35's.... Youre fine... If youre that worried build the axle up a bit.

How so? Every time I take off my 35" and put it back on, I can feel the strain on my body. I'm sure the vehicle feels it too.
If your feeling strain from a 35 man up. Try doing a 107lb 40 on a 40lb steel wheel.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:23 AM
EzK
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How so? Every time I take off my 35" and put it back on, I can feel the strain on my body. I'm sure the vehicle feels it too.
I'm sure there are battles on here about this. The Jeep is sitting on the tires, not hold them up.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:07 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

You will not need a pr44 to run those tires. I run them in 35's on a D30 with no problems. Much of this depends on how you drive/abuse it off road. Definitely have some gussets welded on either way
Old 12-12-2012, 06:34 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EzK
I'm sure there are battles on here about this. The Jeep is sitting on the tires, not hold them up.
It is not sitting on them - you're sitting on them. The Jeep has to do all the hard work and push them - you just push the gas pedal
Old 12-12-2012, 07:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My toyo mt 285/75/17 are like 97lb.each .

Quick Reply: Nitto Tire Weight