Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Nitto Terra Grappler AT vs Goodyear Duratrac opinion

Old 12-21-2011, 05:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good choice
Old 12-21-2011, 06:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A couple things on this topic...1) I don't see the Duratrac available in a 295/70-18, only a 295/65-18. 2) Tread Depth - While at a tire shop the other day, I looked at a Terra Grappler and it seemed that the tread depth was a little low. The lugs didn't seem to be as deep as I would expect for a large A/T tire. I looked both tires up, and sure enough, the Nitto avgs about 1/16" less tread depth than comparable Duratrac sizes. I don't know if this is a good indicator of tire life; but all things being equal it should mean that the Duratracs will last longer. Of course, the Duratrac is more of a M/T than an A/T and that may account for the difference in tread depth. Either way, I would go with the Duratracs.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:38 PM
JK Freak

Good choice on the Duratrac. I've been really happy with mine. My last wheeling trip I was behind a guy with Terra Grapplers for a while and he did well on some fairly difficult trails.

This is a side by side comparison after a pretty tough trail.

Click image for larger version

Name:	dt.jpg
Views:	1224
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	252942
Old 12-21-2011, 08:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just a "fwiw" comment: I think Nitto's are notoriously heavy because they build a true size. I.e. you get the size tire you paid for (they'd be lighter if they were an inch shorter then label size). Just something to consider.
Old 12-22-2011, 03:31 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by BigMAK1
Just a "fwiw" comment: I think Nitto's are notoriously heavy because they build a true size. I.e. you get the size tire you paid for (they'd be lighter if they were an inch shorter then label size). Just something to consider.
My 35" Nitto Mud Grapplers are 34" tall. Mine are heavy because they are a heavier rated tire (they weigh around 80 lbs each).

Quick Reply: Nitto Terra Grappler AT vs Goodyear Duratrac opinion