Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

NITTO MUD Grapplers / Soft riding tires?

Old 01-17-2009, 08:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbluejk
I appreciate everyone taking the time to input their opinion and experiences here. I have to admit it was like 7 or 8 years ago on the cooper tires. I had never seen anything like it. I didn't know any tires came like that, and the mechanic said they all were. It blew my mind. But that was years ago.

There is a place just like 2 miles from me that sells them, they also have kumhos. They burned me bad about 10 years ago, but I would maybe be willing to try them again. Every shop messes up sometimes. I had them put on some alum wheels and they over torqued them. I was going down the road and some of the studs sheared off on my right front. By the time I got stopped all but one were gone. I had a friend trailer me home (it was a Sunday, the place was closed) and I changed all the studs myself. I also re-torqued all of the nuts on the other wheels. I went to the place on Monday and showed them what happened and how everything was mega tight so maybe they could not do it to someone else that just spent $800 on wheels. They didn't apologize, thank me for letting them know, or offer to pay for the studs or nuts or anything. Quality. That was 10 years ago though, and isn't owned by cooper tire. It is just the closest place that sells them.

Thanks for all the replies.

I have mtz's and am real happy with them. They ride great and are suprisingly quiet. You may want to look at them as well.

Good Luck with your decision.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:03 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JKJosh
I have mtz's and am real happy with them. They ride great and are suprisingly quiet. You may want to look at them as well.

Good Luck with your decision.
who makes that? mickey thompson? how many miles you put on them?
Old 01-17-2009, 09:59 PM
JK Junkie

They are MT branded tires. Cooper actually manufactures them though (along with Pro Comp's tires). But I agree with him, great tires.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

I prob have 3K on them, but I have friends who had them on other things and loved them. Yes, they are Mickey Thompson's.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:01 PM
JK Jedi

I ordered the Nitto M/T and went with 35s. I will prolly wish I went 37s but oh well. Thanks for all the input.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:45 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine ride GREAT! I run them at 26 psi so they are nice and soft. I accidently ran them for a while at 20 psi and I thought I was in heaven!!!!!
Old 01-20-2009, 08:51 PM
JK Jedi

I got them today. So far I like them. They ride much better than the smaller terra grapplers. Thanks for all the help
Old 01-20-2009, 09:35 PM
JK Newbie

I ordered the Nitto M/T and went with 35s. I will prolly wish I went 37s but oh well. Thanks for all the input.
When you decide to go up in size, let me know. I have a set that is better than 80% with little off road in perfect condition (37x13.50 18's) that I am looking to sell.
And yes, you will LOVE the Nitto's
Old 01-21-2009, 09:49 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by ROCKSTAR27
When you decide to go up in size, let me know. I have a set that is better than 80% with little off road in perfect condition (37x13.50 18's) that I am looking to sell.
And yes, you will LOVE the Nitto's
The main reason I went 35s over 37s was I wanted the 12.50 width and not the 13.50 width. The 325/60R18s I had on before were like 13.4" wide and rubbed some. I am also getting 5.13s, so I am looking forward to the extra power I will get. I have read that 37s and 5.13s are almost exactly stock, I wanted little lower.

37s look sick though. I may wish I had done them later on. Thanks for the heads up on them. Why are you taking them off?
Old 01-21-2009, 11:23 AM
JK Jedi

here are the before and after shots of my tires.

Terra Grappler 325/60R18:

Mud Grappler 35/12.50R18:

Quick Reply: NITTO MUD Grapplers / Soft riding tires?