Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Nitto Mud Grapplers Chunking Out?

Old 08-04-2009, 06:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitto Mud Grapplers Chunking Out?

Hey all you guys with Nitto Mud Grapplers, have you had a problem with them "chunking out"? My 4x4 shop claims they have had problems with this and don't recommend them. They were pushing the new kevlar MTR's or Toyo Open Countries. I don't like the way the MTR's look, but they are light weight which would be nice. Do you guys like your mud grapplers? Have you had any issues wheeling them hard or crawling with low tire pressure? Thanks!
Old 08-04-2009, 07:27 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have only had mine a few months, but they have some trail time on them. I haven't found any damage at all to them yet (knock on wood). Besides making your jeep sound like a plane, they are a good tire. Traction in mud is second only to a swamper or a cut bogger or something. I bought these tires because I absolutely hate mud! So why did I buy a mud tire? Because the only thing I hate more than mud, is getting stuck in it.

These tires were really round, and took very little weight to balance. rare for a m/t.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bigbluejk
Besides making your jeep sound like a plane, they are a good tire.
Ha! That's the exact description I give when people are riding. It sounds like a WW2 Spitfire in a dog fight

So far I have not had any issues with mine.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:30 AM
JK Freak

I have the MG... I don't like the performance in rocks... I prefer the Krawler or even the KM2...
Old 08-05-2009, 06:33 AM
JK Junkie

my goodyear MT/R's with kevlar are chunking.. maybe the shop has no expreience with them to say otherwise..... (even tho I think its normal with a mud tire when you play hard, as the OEM rubi tires did the same thing for me)
Old 08-05-2009, 07:23 AM
JK Jedi

I don't think you could go wrong with the Toyo M/T or the Nitto MG! I am on my second set of Toyo M/T's and never had chunking, flat tires, sidewall punctures, with these tires as well they are fairly quiet and great wearing. My last set lasted me over 55K miles running on Forest Service roads and pavement.

I was on the fence between the Nitto and Toyo....but Toyo's won out based on price and my last set of Toyo M/T's were unbelievable!
Old 08-05-2009, 10:10 AM
JK Newbie

Currently abusing my second set of Mud Grapplers. No chunking to report on either set.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:07 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by BlueBruin
Hey all you guys with Nitto Mud Grapplers, have you had a problem with them "chunking out"? My 4x4 shop claims...
No problems with mine. And kudos on checking with the community for their opinion. Chances are anyone selling you anything is going to recommend what they are making the most money on selling.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:09 AM
JK Super Freak

only had them for about 3500 miles now maybe more but my tires look like they are brand new... the nubs on them are almost all the way gone...

they sound like a biplane there is no doubt about that... I love it. others don't... people always ask me "whats that noise" and I always have funny responses depending on who's asking... "thats the government spy planes that follow me around sometimes" or "oh thats just the engine the dealer said she shouldnt blow up for at least another 100 miles so we should be fine!" "she's hungry for mud and thats her tummy growling" "WWWHHHAAATTTT NOISSEEE?" "the flux capitactor is charging up"

I havent seen any chunking and I have driving over some pretty decent stuff...

They look like they eat babies and they perform in the mud like those people from woodstock that performed in the mud really well.

no regrets (well maybe that I couldnt get 37's)
I am running them on a 18 inch rim and 35's have plenty of meat so no rash to worry about as of yet...
Old 08-05-2009, 11:40 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

love my NITTOS. Nothing abnormal regarding chunking.

Quick Reply: Nitto Mud Grapplers Chunking Out?