Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Nitto mud grappler or wrangler mtr with kevlar????

Old 06-10-2011, 08:05 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitto mud grappler or wrangler mtr with kevlar????

Well the Teraflex 6" long arm with Elkas is in. I was going to go with 38x15.5x18s with 18x10 Moto Metal 961's. I am trying to find a 17x10 for the 38x14.5x17 MTR's.

I dont know what the weight difference is between the two tires but I think the MTR is lighter (Less wear on Drivetrain)

I do a lot of snow driving in the mountains in winter, which tire is better in snow? Trying to figure out which way to go
Old 06-10-2011, 08:17 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

the nitto mud grapplers are awesome tires but, super heavy. the mtr's are way lighter by comparison. as for which is better in the snow, i might have to say the mud grapplers.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:21 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

We've had very good experiences with the MTR kevlar and bad experiences with the Mud Grappler. The MTR does pretty well everywhere but the Grappler was horrible (compared to others) in the snow and sand. The Grapplers were also very noisy.

My opinion, I'm sure others will have their own views.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:26 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynatrac
We've had very good experiences with the MTR kevlar and bad experiences with the Mud Grappler. The MTR does pretty well everywhere but the Grappler was horrible (compared to others) in the snow and sand. The Grapplers were also very noisy.

My opinion, I'm sure others will have their own views.
LOL!! yeah, we like to call them "noise grapplers". funny to hear your experience though. i ran mtr's with kevlar and, while they did quite well for me on most terrain, i found them to be lacking in the snow. but, maybe that was just me. also, i found them to be really hard to balance and they had bad road manners. but again, maybe that was just my experience.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:33 AM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You can find the exact weights of each tire on their websites. I've talked to a lot of people with Mud Grapplers. The general consenous is they perform well, but they are extremely loud and wear quickly on pavement.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:21 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wayoflife
LOL!! yeah, we like to call them "noise grapplers". funny to hear your experience though. i ran mtr's with kevlar and, while they did quite well for me on most terrain, i found them to be lacking in the snow. but, maybe that was just me. also, i found them to be really hard to balance and they had bad road manners. but again, maybe that was just my experience.
We haven't seen much with bad road manners but can confirm that they're hard to balance. I'm guessing that your snow experience is due to what you do with the tire the rest of the year. We don't play in the rocks much so our tires stay sharper, which is needed in snow. We also usually air down to < 5psi.

We have been hearing of multiple tears in sharp rocks and sidewall delamination when used with low air pressure (<8 psi).
Old 06-10-2011, 10:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by VETTETHRET
Well the Teraflex 6" long arm with Elkas is in. I was going to go with 38x15.5x18s with 18x10 Moto Metal 961's. I am trying to find a 17x10 for the 38x14.5x17 MTR's.

I dont know what the weight difference is between the two tires but I think the MTR is lighter (Less wear on Drivetrain)

I do a lot of snow driving in the mountains in winter, which tire is better in snow? Trying to figure out which way to go
post a pic of that sick vette!
Old 06-10-2011, 11:12 AM
JK Super Freak

I will never purchase MTRs again. My jeep is my DD. If this was a trailer queen, the MTRs would be the only tires I purchase.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:09 PM
JK Newbie

Can we bring this thread back to life?

I've been running 38.5x15x15 Boggers (2012 JK Rubicon) and they perform awesome everywhere, but they are soooo hard to live with on a day-to-day basis. I am at 3/32" on my second set and my Jeep has 15,000 miles on it! They balance like crap, even with 500 grams of air soft bb's in each tire. I get so much driver fatigue from the constant vibration that it is mind numbing. However, they perform excellent in snow, sand, rock, mud and trail at 8 psi with no bead locks.

But, I need a tire that can tolerate freeway use as well as offroad. So I am looking for a radial that I will use with beadlocks and am debating between the MTR and the mud grappler. I have 33x12.50x18 mud grapplers on my Silverado 2500 and they do really well in snow, Mojave sand and a little mud. They also are round (as opposed to the egg-shape that Boggers have), balance well and have excellent manners on the road. Yeah, they are loud, but nothing like Boggers and their "loud" doesn't bother me.

What I want is a goldilocks tire that can handle mud, snow, sand and be livable on the street and last more than the 7,500 miles that the Boggers are giving me.

In deep snow, I was driving my Jeep with Boggers and a friend was driving my truck and the Mud Grapplers clear snow almost as well as the Boggers. And that was wayyyyy better than the guys in our group with BFG AT's, KM2's and MTR's. I've seen MTR's (37x12.50 on TJ Jeep) clogged with snow and go no where when the Boggers and Mud Grapplers had cleared the tread with ease.

Anyone else have head to head comparisons?

http://youtu.be/Nfddg2Ps-SY

Old 03-30-2014, 03:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had the bfg's and the MTRs and I have been more happy with the MTRs. Better road manners, over 30k on them so far and still have 1/4 of an inch left the bfg's wore down really quickly and we're much louder. The MTRs handled everything I could throw at them for terrain, central Texas trails and mud, with no problems!

Quick Reply: Nitto mud grappler or wrangler mtr with kevlar????