Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Nitto Grapplers A/T vs. BFG M/T

Old 06-10-2009, 02:32 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by whitewranglerjk
Ive heard that the Nitto's are louder than most m/t's..

Has any one run Nitto Terra Grapplers??
Mine seem fine on the road, Quiet and ride good.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:41 PM
JK Newbie

bigbluejk what was wrong why did you hate them so much
Old 06-10-2009, 03:01 PM
JK Junkie

I drove the Nitto Terra Grapplers for over 45K miles.....still had another 10 left on them. They were super for on road driving, excellent in rain and snow. They ride real nice and smooth. The only downside to them is if you like mud.....there they suck. So for my new tires I went with Goodyear MT/R Kevlars....

If I were not looking for something better offroad I would have replaced the Nittos with the same.....it was a great tire. They will smoke the BFG's when it comes to driving them in rain and snow.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:44 PM
JK Newbie

I am into the nitto terra grapplers or the km2's, still going to make the decision. But what size tire would i be ordering if i have stock 17's on the x
Old 06-10-2009, 07:17 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by whitewranglerjk
bigbluejk what was wrong why did you hate them so much
they road very harshly for an A/T, and I feared for my life everytime it rained. I think the combo of the boxy, flat tire shape and the tread pattern made it like a flat rock skipping across puddles. I hydroplaned more with those tires than any I have ever owned. I thought the tire looked great though. That is why I bought them. Plus Nitto has a good name. I payed like 300 a tire for those things and sold them for $400 like 10 months later. I tried to sell them like 3-4 months after buying them, but I didn't try real hard.

I have had BFG A/Ts in the past, and they were amazing tires IMO. I have the Nitto Mud Grappler now, and they are loud, but great tires. Almost no weights to balance them, none of the hydroplaning issues, and somehow this 10ply mud terrain rides softer than that A/T???

Good luck!!!
Old 06-10-2009, 08:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

7005 all the way!! good choice
Old 06-11-2009, 04:22 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by bigbluejk
they road very harshly for an A/T, and I feared for my life everytime it rained. I think the combo of the boxy, flat tire shape and the tread pattern made it like a flat rock skipping across puddles. I hydroplaned more with those tires than any I have ever owned. I thought the tire looked great though. That is why I bought them. Plus Nitto has a good name. I payed like 300 a tire for those things and sold them for $400 like 10 months later. I tried to sell them like 3-4 months after buying them, but I didn't try real hard.

I have had BFG A/Ts in the past, and they were amazing tires IMO. I have the Nitto Mud Grappler now, and they are loud, but great tires. Almost no weights to balance them, none of the hydroplaning issues, and somehow this 10ply mud terrain rides softer than that A/T???

Good luck!!!
Soo strange that you and I have such different opinions on the Terras...

I loved them and could not get them to hydroplane, they rode smooth and handled awsome. They were the best "road" tire I have ever used on a truck of any kind.....Maybe your pressure was much higher than mine or something....that is just strange.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

check out the toyo mudders very good on road quite and excellent off road
Old 06-11-2009, 07:34 AM
JK Super Freak

terra grapplers are GREAT tires! I had them on my Tundra.... but for a Jeep it is blasphemous not to roll MTs
Old 06-11-2009, 10:13 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by BaltChief
Soo strange that you and I have such different opinions on the Terras...

I loved them and could not get them to hydroplane, they rode smooth and handled awsome. They were the best "road" tire I have ever used on a truck of any kind.....Maybe your pressure was much higher than mine or something....that is just strange.
I tried every pressure from 26psi - 35 psi. All sucked IMO. Maybe it is the size difference? I ran a 325/60R18 which is about 33.4" tall 13.3" wide on a 18" wheel. What was yours? I might would run them on a big heavy pickup, but never on a Jeep again.

Quick Reply: Nitto Grapplers A/T vs. BFG M/T