Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Nitto 287-75R 17 install.

Old 12-07-2016, 12:25 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitto 287-75R 17 install.

I think I've read all the posts on several sites aboutsizing tires. There seem to be manyvariables so that each instance is almost unique.Front bumper type, flare type/modifications,lifts etc.Just wanted to share thisexperience - it may help someone else with the same setup.

Specifics:
  • 14 Jeep Rubicon 2 door.
  • Completely stock suspension.
  • The Jeep has added weight in front and back fromAftermarket Fr and Rr Bumpers, winch, Aftermarket tire carrier/jerry cans. The Front bumper is mid length, so steeringtire interference from the bumper will not likely be an issue.
  • Bushwhacker flat fenders.
  • Nitto Ridge Grappler 285-75R 17 on OEM RubiconWheels – these tires are approved for 7.5” rims. We bought load range “C”, rather than the10-ply version. The tires are marked onthe sidewall as OD = 34”, OW = 11.5” – that’s within horseshoe range from anyactual measurements I could report within this site’s directives..
  • Spydertrax 1.5" spacers.
  • Use – Its’ our extra car, so 10K miles per yearon the road. Recreationally, exploringTimberland – logging roads, fire lanes. Also jeep trails on the National forest. Hunting club transportation and running aroundthe farm. We live in the Southern Appalachians, so someof the fire lanes involve steep climbs and descents on aged and washed out firelanes.

Objectives: I wanted to run the largestpossible diameter tire with no lift.The tires had to stay under standard width fender flares (personalpreference, not mandated by local restrictions).I wanted to maintain the lowest center ofgravity possible, with the best clearance.The jeep will be driven by inexperienced off roaders, so I wanted tomaintain near stock ride characteristics and quality.

Mounting observations.
Front: First we triedinstalling a front tire without the spacers.We mounted a tire and installed on driver's side front without the spacers.We lowered the jeep and tested for steeringclearance.At full right turn, the frontinside of the left tire just barely rubbed the sway bar – since we have zerotolerance for any contact, we installed the spacers.There were no other "steering limit"clearance issues after the spacers were installed.
Rear: While hanging from the rack, the rear axle swingsforward and the front of the new tire is actually in front of the"RubiRail", but when lowered on level ground, there is about7/8" of clearance between the tire and the rail. Even at full “stuff”, as reported later inthis topic, there is no interference with the “rubirail”.
Mounting conclusions: This particular tire on this Jeep setup will require spacers toeliminate rubbing at full lock steer – otherwise in on-road use I imagine it’dbe fine.The tires do extend further forward in thefront, so if I had a full length front bumper – it might rub – I have no way ofknowing since the short bumper came before the tires.I will say this: the tire takes full advantage of the flatfender’s extra clearance.
On the road: Norubbing issues.The tires look greatand even with the spacers, all of the rear tire and all but maybe one-quarterinch of the front tire stays neatly tucked under the standard width Bushwhackerfender flares.We just drove acouple-hundred miles back and forth to the Iron Bowl on the original BFG mudterrains (we have 3600 miles on the Jeep) a couple weekends ago.Subjectively speaking, the new Nitto tiresare significantly quieter and ride better to my seat of the pants.At interstate speeds+, I imagine wind noisearound the soft top becomes the bigger noise factor and negates any noisebenefit, but running back and forth to town at 55 mph or less, I can say Iprefer these tires.And, if I never left the road, I’d probablybe okay without any bump stop or lift modifications.
Articulation Test:
I balanced the vehicle on one front tire and one rear tireon a diagonal across a deep ditch. Thisallowed me to get the front and rear axles firmly on the bump stops.
Front: With onlyspacers – no lift.There are noclearance issues turning the steering lock to lock.
Rear: As mentionedearlier, the front of the rear tire never contacts the “Rubirail” but theclearance is close to one eighth inch.However, the tire does rub against the “lip” at the body line inside theBushwhacker flare where it captures the inner liner.It contacts only from the two o’clock to 3o’clock position looking at the passenger side rear tire.
Given this rubbing on the flares, I’m also going to add a threequarter inch plate to the rear axle bump stops. I know I’ll give up some travel, but I’dprefer that to the rubbing.
Off road:
Test environment: Wewere in a major drought in the Southeast.After 90 days of no rain, we got over 3” of rain in the last week.The powder build up from the last 90 dayswithout rain has turned to soup.My “test track” included a 5’ wide, 4’ deepditch that I had crossed with the factory BFG Mud Terrains without incidence – twice.After the new tires, the rears slid to thebottom of the ditch, leaving me “stuck” on my first attempt, my jeep pointingstraight up, looking like I was making a “Moon Shot”.Even after a lot of spinning, I never really“damaged” the soil under the Jeep or made any headway.This is good with me.I’ve already spent my erosion allowance backin the days with my Buckshot Mudders and these days I don’t need to add to moreerosion issues – I also have a winch… I was more interested in the 95% of thepaved terrain the jeep will travel.Subjectively,I think the BFG MTs would “probably” hold the diagonal line better, but I don’thave enough info to say for sure – I’m sorry I can’t give any better reportingin this area, I haven’t had time to test in other conditions.
Conclusion:
I like this tire. I’vegot fewer than 50 miles on them, so take that into consideration.

Old 12-07-2016, 12:43 PM
JK Newbie

Apologize about the spacing, changes in font size etc on this post. I wrote this in work then copied it to the forum. It removed my paragraph spacing and spacing between words. I tried to edit it to clean it up but the message won't load in the edit window.
Old 12-07-2016, 01:36 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great attention to detail on your install.

Did you take any photos and what is the height of the tire with weight on it?
Old 12-07-2016, 03:15 PM
JK Junkie

Great post, welcome to the forum.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:30 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by espi
Great attention to detail on your install.

Did you take any photos and what is the height of the tire with weight on it?
Yes, I took photos... the loaded tire height is 33.5" at 37 PSI - same as my nephew's 12.5X35 BFG AT KO2 -unsure of his tire pressure.

I bought the 2014 Jeep with just over 3000 miles about a month ago. The previous owner made a lot of great additions, but never drove it, and finally sold it because of non-use. I replaced the extended fender flares and changed to the Rigid Ind. Duallys. The photos include an "As Purchased", Before and After Tires
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	AsPurchased.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	662366   Click image for larger version

Name:	BeforeTireAndLights.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	354.4 KB
ID:	662367   Click image for larger version

Name:	FrontSide.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	368.2 KB
ID:	662368   Click image for larger version

Name:	RearLeftTurnCrunch.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	421.0 KB
ID:	662369   Click image for larger version

Name:	RearSide.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	345.6 KB
ID:	662370  

Old 12-10-2016, 04:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Very nice! Just lifted my 2 door 2.5" with a JKS kit and still running 265 70 17s. This tire in this size is in the running as replacements.
Old 12-10-2016, 06:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad you got rid of those fenders, yuck. Looks good!

Quick Reply: Nitto 287-75R 17 install.