Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Nitto 285 70 17 11.5 Trail Grapplers installed on Stock Moabs

Old 01-26-2012, 07:00 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitto 285 70 17 11.5 Trail Grapplers installed on Stock Moabs

replaced OEM BFGs on my 2011 CoD Rubicon. No spacers installed, save for the spare holder. will get some pics tomorrow, but wanted to report some initial impressions.

despite the menacingly aggressive tread, these things are amazingly quiet on the road compared to the BFG M/Ts. very happy about that!

without spacers, there is minor rubbing at full steering turn. no rubbing on modest articulation. elected to trim back some of the plastic shroud behind the front bumper and that was it.

amazing how adding a little less than an inch impacted the butt dyno. take-offs were never really very sharp, but they are fully soft now. its very noticeable, but not so bad that i am planning on re-gearing. also, the steering feel has been reduced a good bit. these seem to have had the impact of making the rubi more bus-like in terms of how the rig now drifts a bit and requires more attention when approaching any kind of turn at speed.

also, it looks pretty badass! i have no lift and these seem to not crowd the wheel wells in such a way that they look less than proper without a lift. yeah, they're gonna rub at full articulation, but i do more mud than rocks, so its not going to be an issue for me.

anyway, like i said, i will post more pics. and i will come back with some follow-up impressions after i get a few hundred miles on them.

for anyone wanting to go to 33's without lifting and spacing, these need to be high on your list
Old 01-26-2012, 10:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Congrats on the purchase! Definitely post pics, I like those COD editions.

If you add spacers, the rubbing will go away. Then it will only have minor rub while off roading.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Pay attention to the air pressure you have in them. Many shops tend to overfill them which can cause adverse handling and tire wear. I run my 35's at 28 lbs. Congrats on the tires you will like them
Old 01-27-2012, 07:10 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
Pay attention to the air pressure you have in them. Many shops tend to overfill them which can cause adverse handling and tire wear. I run my 35's at 28 lbs. Congrats on the tires you will like them
interesting. so what pressure should i be running at? the pressure recommended on the side wall, or something other than that? cant imagine why a reputable shop would fill to anything other than the optimal spec.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mayonayze
interesting. so what pressure should i be running at? the pressure recommended on the side wall, or something other than that? cant imagine why a reputable shop would fill to anything other than the optimal spec.
Generally most people here say about 30 psi, which is actually what I run mine at. The door jam recommends 35 psi, and some people run with that too, but anything above that and you're going to get a much rougher ride.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:58 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by mayonayze

I would do a chalk test. I run mine at 28 psi cold and they ride and wear good
Old 01-28-2012, 10:42 AM
JK Newbie

and obligatory pic of JK's mini-me

Quick Reply: Nitto 285 70 17 11.5 Trail Grapplers installed on Stock Moabs