Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Nitrous oxide

Old 10-12-2009, 05:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
I don't know if I agree with that. Seems to be a lot of them are tearing up stock. Mine did.
Its a good engine design, just poor quality control that causes some early failures. If yours doesn't have any issues, it will hold up to a lot of abuse and last you a long time. I have no idea how it will hold up to NOx though...

People rant and rave about the late 4.0l. It was a great engine design, but poor quality control caused a lot of early failures in them. The 4.0l in my '96 XJ went at 60k miles. I suspect that the 3.8l is the same way. They too have developed a work horse reputation in the work fleet sales. Especially, its cousin the 3.3l.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Hasn't RIPP shown otherwise with their supercharger?
I am one of those people that has to "see it to believe it", I have heard as many good as bad things about this install on a "stock" 3.8 motor. Since I have built many motors in the last 20 years, many for NOS, blowers and turbos, I can say without any doubt, unless this blower is running very low boost, it will wipe-out the bottom end of the engine prematurely
Old 10-13-2009, 05:16 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by nangulator
I am one of those people that has to "see it to believe it", I have heard as many good as bad things about this install on a "stock" 3.8 motor. Since I have built many motors in the last 20 years, many for NOS, blowers and turbos, I can say without any doubt, unless this blower is running very low boost, it will wipe-out the bottom end of the engine prematurely
I agree with your thinking. It just seems the RIPP supercharger is not destroying engines. They are pretty low boost. My VW TDI boosts up to around 20psi if I don't hit it too hard.
Speaking of the 3.8 bottom end, I don't like the idea of only 4 main bearings for 6 cylinders. According to the best picture I have seen of the crank, there are two throws between bearings. Not good for added power.
But, RIPP is having success with their setup. Time will tell.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:46 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have installed a 30hp shot that shoots directly into the intake tube. I notice a little gain in first and second gear full throttle acceleration but its such a small shot I dont notice it at higher speeds. NOS is designed to be used at about 3000rpm and higher so not good for off roading just straight drags. If used in large amounts and often it will wreck a stock engine, as will putting high boosts from superchargers and turbochargers. Hope this helps some.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:33 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lack of fuel is what kills engines that run nitrous. Plain and simple. A wet system with a dedicated fuel supply is the only way to relatively safely run it on the 3.8L. Even then it's mechanical limits are being pushed.

Having fuel is a major factor.

Quick Reply: Nitrous oxide