Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Nitrous oxide

Old 10-11-2009, 06:41 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MORTON
Ok the question is, has anyone set up a nitrous kit on thier JK yet. I have an opertunity to get a set up for a really great price and have a guy thats big into the stuff He says it would be great to use. He recomended a 50 hp. spray and said that's being on the safe side of things. He eats Mustangs and Camaros with his little 2.2 litter honda civic for fun. He has a 150 hp set up on his car. I told him I dont want to blow my engine. He says thats the old school thought about Nitrous. Its all about the mixture of fuel and nitrous thats all you have to concern yourself with, and that the correct kit is idiot proof.

If anyone can offer thier 2 cents fire away. If not than I'll see ya back here for a full write up on my set up. Hopfully the Thread is not called "Don't do this or this will happen" but will be called "cheap horse power"
When exactly would use turn on the NOx? It would certainly help if you plan on doing stoplight racing or 1/4mile runs (there is a whole thread on this last topic).
I've only seen 2 Jeeps (not JKs) in the past with NOx and they installed it to make faster runs a big sand dunes with short runways.

AFAIK, you cannot run NOx continuously. It's too expensive and it will fry your engine (over stress and heat) if injected for too long.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:15 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JEEP + Nitorous = WHY???

It's a Jeep! It needs horsepower help but not in short bursts. Makes no sense to me.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm no expert, but isn't nitrous more of a "wide open throttle" kind of horse power mod? How often do you plan on running wide open on the trail? Sand dunes maybe?
Old 10-12-2009, 01:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

i ran the 50hp wet shot, for sand dune climb with not much place to accelarate... there was defenetly some improved performance.... never used it again..... i think the v6's we have in our jeeps are pretty though, i dont think 50hp wet shot would effect the engine at all
Old 10-12-2009, 02:31 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SLeepY_BoY
i ran the 50hp wet shot, for sand dune climb with not much place to accelarate... there was defenetly some improved performance.... never used it again..... i think the v6's we have in our jeeps are pretty though, i dont think 50hp wet shot would effect the engine at all
I don't know if I agree with that. Seems to be a lot of them are tearing up stock. Mine did.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:27 AM
JK Newbie

Could you run Squeeze in a stock Jeep? Yes
Should you run Squeeze in a stock Jeep? No

Bad things would happen. You would become very farmiliar with a new term; Peak Firing Pressure. It would be cool to see what component failed first? Push out a head gasket, melt a piston, burn a top ring, throw a rod, toss the crank, or twist somthing off along the drive train?

I say go for it! But PLEASE video the first run. I guessing you would hear the RPM's come up, make a cool V6 whine, then hear a loud pop, after which your engine would fit loosely in 5 gallon bucket.

Coolest scenario would be you break the first rear drive shaft U-joint at speed and you joust it into the ground a milisecond before the azz end of your jeep goes flying into the air.

Either outcome would look cool on video. Maybe the proceeds could help purchase replacement parts.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:45 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MORTON
Why would our JKs be the wrong vehicles wouldn't 50 hp; be 50 hp thats good for any rig I would think
We've got one realy good reason why - your JK will blow itself up - not from cylinder presure but from not being able to straighten itself out!

To do a 50-75shot you would likely go wet - meaning fuel and NO2 would be sprayed at the same time... when you hit the No2 your factory 02 and air temp sensor get hit at the same time. The ECU will reject the flow and turn against you... leaning the crap out of the OE tune - when that happens the pistons can and will scuff and/or cease - this condition is inevitable - and - uncorrectable - with current piggy backs - as they do not keep tabs on the ECU swings like our stuff.

You could combine our black box and fuel system and trigger the NOS at the correct time and under the correct conditions... (as more of you want to experiment, the more we would rather you go with our electronics given the extensive testing and proven track record.

Those of you who have hooked up our system may remember there was a gray wire and a orange wire loose near the Black Box - the gray wire was the octane wire, where you hooked it up to a switched ground. The orange wire was labeled not used at the moment - that's a trigger wire. One could hook that up to a NOS shot and only fire it when the conditions are right - for example if you want to trigger NOS only over 2000rpm, when the Throttle is down 25% and if the engine temp is operational - it will only spray then.

On the other hand there is a used RIPP Supercharger kit offered right now at $3000.00 we would suggest it - if you could swing it - as always we offer to take a look at it for you to make sure its in ready to go order.

Question welcome,

RIPPTECH

Last edited by RIPPMODS; 10-12-2009 at 03:49 AM.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:40 PM
JK Super Freak

NOS is good in small amounts (50-75HP shot) for a 1/4mile run on a well engineered stock motor, But add it or a supercharger to this "dodge caravan" motor and either will wipe out the bottom end fast, in stock form this motor was not designed for any type of "power-adder".
Old 10-12-2009, 04:49 PM
JK Freak

Old 10-12-2009, 04:55 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by nangulator
NOS is good in small amounts (50-75HP shot) for a 1/4mile run on a well engineered stock motor, But add it or a supercharger to this "dodge caravan" motor and either will wipe out the bottom end fast, in stock form this motor was not designed for any type of "power-adder".
Hasn't RIPP shown otherwise with their supercharger?

Quick Reply: Nitrous oxide