Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Nitro sleeves + BFH = Successfully strengthening axles?

Old 12-29-2011, 07:00 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Subscribed... I have been looking at options for sleeves and gussets as I plan to do this upgrade soon. The ones that I have been leaning towards are the EVO products (Disclaimer: I am by no means a representative of EVO nor do I benefit in any way shape or form for promoting their products, I just simply like their products):
Sleeves: http://www.offroadevolution.com/stor...prod=EVO-44MAG
C-Gussets: http://www.offroadevolution.com/stor...VO-AXLEGUSSETS
And even been contemplating the LCA skids, if I'm welding on the axle tube already might as well do it all together: http://www.offroadevolution.com/stor...?prod=EVO-1005

But now, I have another option to look into (Thanks AZJeeper)! I've read through this thread and even though I am not he OP I appreciate all the input on these already... LOVE THIS FORUM!

FWIW, the reason I haven't given Teraflex's options for these any more thought is, I am not big on their design. They don't offer a lower C-Gusset and although they do not feel its necessary I would feel more comfortable with upper and lower gussets. Just my

Decisions... Decisions...
Old 12-29-2011, 08:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

IMO if you're doing lower c's might as well do uppers also..but wont it be hell to change that u joint once you weld the gaussets on?
Old 12-29-2011, 08:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wads13
FWIW, the reason I haven't given Teraflex's options for these any more thought is, I am not big on their design. They don't offer a lower C-Gusset and although they do not feel its necessary I would feel more comfortable with upper and lower gussets. Just my
I went with the Tereflex upper gusset. If you look at the Cs, the bottom is pretty short and beefy. I haven't seen anyone confirm they bent the lower C yet. The top looks like a tall frail skinny kid on a diet. There's a ton of "bent C" stories where the top was tweaked. The Tereflex gusset is a solid chunk of 5/8" steel. "Beefy" is an understatement!

Yup. Upper and lower is better. Just not sure if the bottom is necessary.

There's also many stories on bending (sometimes breaking) the axle tube too. Upper gusset + inserts = enough for my peace of mind.

That's my financial contribution to the subject.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:07 PM
Former Member

Originally Posted by Crazecodyk
Would sleeves and gaussets be needed for both the front and rear axels?
Just the front. If you're wanting to brace the rear axle you want to truss it. No c's on the rear.

Originally Posted by jeep2007
I should have not responded from my phone so for that I apologize. The thickness of the frt and rear tube is the same only. No sleeve is offered for the rear and trusses are used to improve strength.
Correct.

Originally Posted by Crazecodyk
So even if i have a d44 front..factory rubicon i should consider sleeves and gaussets? And also will the sleeves work with the factory shafts?
Yes, you pretty much have the same thing as the D30 guys have except larger joints and ring & pinion. The tube housing is the same. With Nitro chromo shafts vs others you keep the larger Rubi 44 style joints instead of reverting to the smaller 760x ones. Even the D30 guys can upgrade to the larger Rubi joints that comes with the D30 chromo shaft kit. These sleeves are the only ones on the market that work with factory shafts AND up to 35 spline shafts.

Originally Posted by GT500
Yes, your Frt 44 is much the same as the 30 other than the center section so beef it up! Your stock shafts will slide right in...
Chris also sells upgraded frt shafts CA with bigger U-joints that work with the sleeves also.
10-4!

Originally Posted by jeep2007
I would add the gussets asap. Especially if you wheel. Hell a pothole can bend the C a bit.
Unfortunately the sleeves and c's are the weak link and it doesn't take much. :(

Originally Posted by Wads13
Subscribed... I have been looking at options for sleeves and gussets as I plan to do this upgrade soon. The ones that I have been leaning towards are the EVO products (Disclaimer: I am by no means a representative of EVO nor do I benefit in any way shape or form for promoting their products, I just simply like their products):
Sleeves: http://www.offroadevolution.com/stor...prod=EVO-44MAG
C-Gussets: http://www.offroadevolution.com/stor...VO-AXLEGUSSETS
And even been contemplating the LCA skids, if I'm welding on the axle tube already might as well do it all together: http://www.offroadevolution.com/stor...?prod=EVO-1005

But now, I have another option to look into (Thanks AZJeeper)! I've read through this thread and even though I am not he OP I appreciate all the input on these already... LOVE THIS FORUM!

Decisions... Decisions...
The Evo design is outstanding. However, **and this is only information that has been relayed to me by my customers** they will not work without notching that extra seal on the outside for those that run upgrade shafts with the larger u-joints and there's the age old debate on whether it's a good idea to run outer seals. For me, it's a personal preference and I remain neutral on the subject. I don't believe you can run 35 spline shafts with them either. The one and only advantage of the Nitro vs Evo gusset design from what I can see is that the LCA skids are included.

Teraflex, Nitro, Evo and others have their place and all are better than stock. There *are* indeed companies that sell absolute junk that I would tell my customers to stay far away from and none of those three would be included in that list. I wish I could say first-hand knowledge on Evo stuff, but I've only got to go by what customers have said to me regarding their products. Fortunately they have a rep on the forum that might be able to address what I wasn't sure about above.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

This sounds like a great option for those looking to reinforce their axle and run RCV 35 sp shafts. Forgive my ignorance but I'm wondering what makes this sleeve design different to allow for 35 sp to be used? Is the tube thinner walled?
Old 01-01-2012, 06:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm new to the whole axle upgrade thing, and I know I must, but this is a heck of an alternative for me! The thought of drilling and welding in the sleeves had me taken aback. I know I have to have the C's welded, and I know a place that will do this well and affordably, but the sleeves are something I can do myself. LOVE this forum
Old 01-12-2012, 12:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Subscribed. If these fit in as tight as described, it just seems to make a lot more sense (to me) than more loosely fitting sleeves requiring welds to secure them.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hoovis
Subscribed. If these fit in as tight as described, it just seems to make a lot more sense (to me) than more loosely fitting sleeves requiring welds to secure them.
Trust me, they are tight! i'm installing them now.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:38 PM
JK Newbie

Okay, the other day after a lot of BFH swinging, I got the left side in. Today, I put the right sleeve into a cooler with 6 blocks of dry ice, gonna let it cool for two days, and do a better job of cleaning the axle.

Any tips to make this side a smoother install?
Old 06-07-2012, 05:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Happy, just wondering if you installed the nitro sleeves? If you did which end goes in first? The ribbed end or smooth end? I cant find instructions anywhere. Thanks

Quick Reply: Nitro sleeves + BFH = Successfully strengthening axles?