Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Nitro Sleeves

Old 07-02-2016, 03:05 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitro Sleeves

So I was looking at the no wield nitro sleeves and was wondering something. Once you remove the axle shaft, is there any more steps? (Besides cleaning tube, heating axle, and freezing sleeve)

And on a scale of 1-10 could you rate how difficult the installation process would be. I've done a lot of research but just wanna finalize everything before purchase. Thanks!
Old 07-02-2016, 07:47 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by alecwaller1
So I was looking at the no wield nitro sleeves and was wondering something. Once you remove the axle shaft, is there any more steps? (Besides cleaning tube, heating axle, and freezing sleeve)

And on a scale of 1-10 could you rate how difficult the installation process would be. I've done a lot of research but just wanna finalize everything before purchase. Thanks!
See it as a extra step to u joints replacement except no hammering of the joints.
1 remove wheels
2 remove break assembly
3 remove / disconect speed sensor (I find it easier to unplug at the frame)
4 remove shafts nut
5 remove hub assembly
6 remove shafts

Look at u joints replacement video to get a good understanding.

Just be sure not to push your seal out at the pumpkin.

Last edited by Pape; 07-02-2016 at 07:50 PM.
Old 07-02-2016, 08:11 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Pape
See it as a extra step to u joints replacement except no hammering of the joints.
1 remove wheels
2 remove break assembly
3 remove / disconect speed sensor (I find it easier to unplug at the frame)
4 remove shafts nut
5 remove hub assembly
6 remove shafts

Look at u joints replacement video to get a good understanding.

Just be sure not to push your seal out at the pumpkin.
Any ideas on how to clean axle tube once you remove the shaft?
Old 07-03-2016, 06:18 AM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Use a wire wheel on a long extension on a drill, use 2 extensions if necessary. Then put a paint roller cover over a dowel and soak it with pb blaster and push it into the tube a few times to clean it out.
Mark the length of the tube on your dowel so you dont hit your seal.
Repeat wire wheel and paint roller until you have a clean, smoother surface & use brake cleaner on your last clean out with the roller.

Freezing the sleeves helped tremendously, mine went in at 96K miles without issue, its all in the prep.
Old 07-03-2016, 07:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by alecwaller1

Mine went in too easy. For some reason my stock axel tubes were slightly big. Had to have them tack welded to hold in place. Also be very careful when putting the axels back in not to tear the seals.
Old 07-04-2016, 05:31 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cleaned my axle tube with scuff ball https://abrasives4sale.com/scuff_balls.htm and used some high pressure grease and an air hammer to install. Was a very easy process.
Old 07-04-2016, 05:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Be careful not to get any of the crud from your tubes into the diff housing. Little particulates will destroy your carrier and pinion bearings. Consider removing the carrier and cleaning it out really good.

Quick Reply: Nitro Sleeves