Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Nitro Sleeve Question

Old 07-03-2014, 12:22 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitro Sleeve Question

I'm getting ready to install the Nitro inner axle sleeves tomorrow..

Is there any reason I need to pull the diff cover or can I just pull the drain plug and go from there???
Old 07-03-2014, 12:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

No need to pull the cover or drain. Working on one side at a time, that side will be elevated above the other and keep the fluid where it should be.
Old 07-03-2014, 12:33 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lowendrider
No need to pull the cover or drain. Working on one side at a time, that side will be elevated above the other and keep the fluid where it should be.
depends how well and how he cleans his axle tubes, could be pushing alot of shit into the dif when hammering them in...
Old 07-03-2014, 12:50 PM
JK Newbie

I plan on Using a paint roller on a dowel to clean, if I feel any ridge from the outer axle weld then use a small wire wheel on a drill extension, Also have a cylinder honer i was going to run through, then mineral spirts on a roller, pb blaster on a roller, then dry roller. Got the sleeves on dry ice right now and am going to use high pressure lubricant on the outer part of the sleeve...... Thought about pulling the cover initially just so I could have a look see from the inner side until i realized today that jeep uses a "special" rtv for the front cover instead of a gasket. If I have to pull the cover I was going to drain it and let it sit until next week when I would order a lube locker...... Thought???
Old 07-03-2014, 12:57 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by JustJeepinWithYa
I plan on Using a paint roller on a dowel to clean, if I feel any ridge from the outer axle weld then use a small wire wheel on a drill extension, Also have a cylinder honer i was going to run through, then mineral spirts on a roller, pb blaster on a roller, then dry roller. Got the sleeves on dry ice right now and am going to use high pressure lubricant on the outer part of the sleeve...... Thought about pulling the cover initially just so I could have a look see from the inner side until i realized today that jeep uses a "special" rtv for the front cover instead of a gasket. If I have to pull the cover I was going to drain it and let it sit until next week when I would order a lube locker...... Thought???
id say most rtvs will be fine, and you dont need a "special" one from jeep or anything...
Old 07-03-2014, 04:16 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JustJeepinWithYa
Seems like you've got everything covered. I couldnt get my hands on a 2" honer for cheap so I ended up just using a 2" flap cylinder on a drill. I had a lot of slag in the first inch of my tubes. And like Maertz said, no special rtv required
Old 07-03-2014, 04:20 PM
JK Junkie

I highly recommend against honing. It is an intolerance fit. You're looking at around 3/1000". You'll hone that off in no time and lose the intolerance. You Can do it that way, but I'd recommend you weld a bead around the outside to keep them from moving.
Old 07-04-2014, 04:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Wow, dry ice, super amounts of cleaning, honing, grease...you do have everything covered!

I simply stuck mine in my home freezer and after a quick axle cleaning with a rag pounded them in. The grit and grim help the interference fit in my opinion lol.

Good luck!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1074431975.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	563490

Name:	image-2279858530.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	563491

Name:	image-4215598776.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	563492
Old 07-04-2014, 11:28 AM
JK Newbie

Default Axle sleeve Insertion update

Just got done with the sleeves. Decided not to hone after all, Cleaned the tubes, high pressure lubricant on the buisness end, tubes were in the freezer. Short side, super easy - 10 hits with a 12 lb sledge and they were in. Long side (super tight from the get go), about 25 hits with BFH and got them about 1/8" from flush, hit another 10 times and broke the tool beyond repair. Its pretty far in there but not flush - whats your guys take on this and thoughts on strength etc.? I was thinking of making another tool and trying to drive the last bit in later. Overall I would say it went pretty damn good..... If I had to give one piece of advice - its all in the tool. make the most beast tool you can imagine - ideally one piece of sold steel and grind a rim on the end as a race driver..... Thanks to all for the tips couldn't have done it without the forum.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:33 AM
JK Junkie

Hit it with an air hammer and it will go right in.

Quick Reply: Nitro Sleeve Question