Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Nitro sleeve install question

Old 12-30-2012, 05:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitro sleeve install question

Has anyone attempted to use a pneumatic hammer with a bearing/race driver to install these?
Old 12-30-2012, 05:23 PM
JK Freak

Installed 3 sets of these. We used a brass race driver and a 8 lb sledge. Freeze and lube helped a little. The biggest thing that helped was cleaning the tubes really well. If you have an older jk make sure to clean the first couple of inches of the tube since it may have rust build up. Not sure about using pneumatic tools though.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the info. I will be sure to do that. Anyone used a pneumatic hammer for the install out there?
Old 12-30-2012, 05:52 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good info! Im doing this soon as well and hope it goes simply...
Old 12-30-2012, 05:54 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

do you need to drain the diff? I have my Nitro sleeves just sittin waiting for me to get it done.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by k0260
do you need to drain the diff? I have my Nitro sleeves just sittin waiting for me to get it done.
You do not have to drain the diff. Clean the stock axle tube good and use a product like PB Blaster lubricant or Wd. Its a bitch to hammer them in but they will go. The short drivers side went in easier for me. Even the passenger tube goes in pretty smooth till you get to the knurles or ridges on the Nitro Tubes. Its just the last 4 or 5 inches thats a pain.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:09 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Surf City Dan
You do not have to drain the diff. Clean the stock axle tube good and use a product like PB Blaster lubricant or Wd. Its a bitch to hammer them in but they will go. The short drivers side went in easier for me. Even the passenger tube goes in pretty smooth till you get to the knurles or ridges on the Nitro Tubes. Its just the last 4 or 5 inches thats a pain.
okay thanks, that's what I figured. Yeah I've seen that most people installing these say the same thing about the knurled ends being the toughest point for install.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

That's what I've heard. A couple have mentioned taking a Dremel to the first two inches of the outer portion of the axle tube. I guess there is a small ridge in there from welding when they manufactured them. Thanks for the tips.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:15 PM
JK Forum Regional Rep

When i hosted a install party to do 5+ sleeves on a weekend,several ideas came up including a jackhammer due amount of effort to drive them in.In all,i custom built a tool to drive them in plus a 20lb BFH made life easy
Old 12-30-2012, 06:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've seen the video you guys put together. Nice job! I don't have any welding experience to make such a tool however.

Quick Reply: Nitro sleeve install question