Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Nissan GTR - To -JKU Rubicon, Suspension Suggestions and Recommendations

Old 02-09-2016, 10:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Nissan GTR - To -JKU Rubicon, Suspension Suggestions and Recommendations

I have 2016 JKU Rubicon with 6 speed, brand new with just few hundred miles on it. This is not my daily driver and is just for fun. I traded my 2014 Nissan GTR for this 2016 Rubicon here recently to get back into jeeping and to enjoy it with a bunch a friends at work who have Jeeps.

I have picked up a ton of body parts, Metalcloak Flatline fenders, Bumper, ACE sliders, ACE Pro Bumper, etc... just waiting on stuff to come in.

I plan on running ATX Slabs with 37" Goodyear MT/R with Kevlar and have actually order one rim just to check it out. Then I will be picking up 4 more and the tires here shortly. I have read all through the threads. I understand welding the C, braces and sleeves and changing the gears and so on... if I break a axle, I will just upgrade to pro 44 or 60's. I don't have plans on wheeling my rig that hard, but if I do, I will upgrade and enjoy it... lol

I have to buy stuff piece by piece over time... and really enjoy putting it all together to be honest and working on it myself. This really gives the most enjoyment, putting it all together and making it my. Researching the parts, order them, waiting on them to get here and then installing them...

Suspension parts on the jeep, is next up and need some advice from a few with a little more expertise on the JK.

I am very interested in doing a coilover setup front and rear. Love the look and the ability to adjust the ride height and just plain more than you need setup. Looking at doing the bolt on EVO coilover setup front and rear. Mainly, because I can do it myself in my garage and piece it together.

So my question is this, what all do I need to get parts wise to make a great setup and not have to have a shop do the work for me. I have access to all types of tools, with the exception of welding equipment. I am not a master welder and would have to farm that kinda work to shop if I get into this. But, I by no means afraid to cut brackets, drill holes and completely tear stuff apart.

I have purchased Adjustable Teraflex Lower control arms, and considering just picking up the uppers and all the rear also for the upgrade and flex without binding. Understand this is not nessary to complete the lift, but will definitely move this way. Not interested in doing a long arm setup at this time, but who knows, maybe in the future.

Looking at next picking up the EVO Flip Kit, any need suggestions on this or other upgraded components, trackbars, tierod bar, etc... like heavy duty stuff? I want the steering to be correct and avoid any issues I have seen, just not completely familiar with this and the complete options out there available for the JK.

I will also pick up the 1310 CV front and rear shafts from Adams next to work with the lift to avoid spacers and adjust for the length and angle.

So give me some suggestions on these, parts etc... mainly dealing with the steering and such or something I am not accounting for.. I am open to the suggestions on the coilovers, but pretty set on them.

Last edited by Extremneon; 02-09-2016 at 10:49 AM.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:05 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jeeps are nice but I would of kept that car over getting a new jeep. I at least would of bought a older jeep if you plane on doing all the mods you want to do. But nice jeep and good luck with the build.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mook8651
Jeeps are nice but I would of kept that car over getting a new jeep. I at least would of bought a older jeep if you plane on doing all the mods you want to do. But nice jeep and good luck with the build.
I appericate it, definitely a nice car..

But, couldn't justify it to be honest. Parts are expensive and a lot of money tied up in it versus the enjoyment factor. Pretty much just sat in the garage for the most part.

No, agree... would have been better off with a older Jeep and have owned couple of them in the past and modded the mess out of them.

But I need to make trade to get out of the payment and free up some money for the Jeep. Not a huge deal, I can always get another GTR if I decide again I need one.

Last edited by Extremneon; 02-09-2016 at 12:17 PM.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Will always have a Jeep. Traded in a BMW 750i to get my JKUR, sold the TJ to fund my JK parts.
Old 02-09-2016, 01:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Been there myself. Had a 13 GTR fully built and while it's a rad car the constant track maintenance gets old and the non stop attention from the male population certainly was not the greatest highlight.

Looking at coilovers myself as I just did axles and think that's the next step for me. Currently on a 3.5" Rubicon Express lift and am happy with it, I just can't leave well enough alone. I'm leaning toward Evo bolt ons too, but wondering if I'm selling my set up short not doing long arms.

Congrats and look forward to seeing how your build comes along!
Old 02-09-2016, 01:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tgoss
Been there myself. Had a 13 GTR fully built and while it's a rad car the constant track maintenance gets old and the non stop attention from the male population certainly was not the greatest highlight.

Looking at coilovers myself as I just did axles and think that's the next step for me. Currently on a 3.5" Rubicon Express lift and am happy with it, I just can't leave well enough alone. I'm leaning toward Evo bolt ons too, but wondering if I'm selling my set up short not doing long arms.

Congrats and look forward to seeing how your build comes along!
Lol, yeah I believe the GTR is more of a dick magnet... my was full bolt on with e85.

What kinda axles did you go with?

Yeah, I have looked at both the arm setups. I think I will stick with the stock setup with aftermarket adjustable arms for now and see how it rides. Maybe later on go with a long arm setup if I am not happy or just want something to do. I have currently only picked up the lower front ones, as this seems what Evo runs in their stage one kit with coilovers. But, will probably just upgrade all for the heck of it and to have better arms.
Old 02-09-2016, 02:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Extremneon
Lol, yeah I believe the GTR is more of a dick magnet... my was full bolt on with e85.

What kinda axles did you go with?

Yeah, I have looked at both the arm setups. I think I will stick with the stock setup with aftermarket adjustable arms for now and see how it rides. Maybe later on go with a long arm setup if I am not happy or just want something to do. I have currently only picked up the lower front ones, as this seems what Evo runs in their stage one kit with coilovers. But, will probably just upgrade all for the heck of it and to have better arms.
Complete **** magnet lol.

I did Dynatrac's. PR44 front and PR60 rear so I can confidently run 37's.

I think your on the right track regarding the arms. Can always upgrade those later for sure.

Look forward to following your build man, congrats again
Old 02-09-2016, 03:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tgoss
Complete **** magnet lol.

I did Dynatrac's. PR44 front and PR60 rear so I can confidently run 37's.

I think your on the right track regarding the arms. Can always upgrade those later for sure.

Look forward to following your build man, congrats again
I appericate it!

I Will defintely look a axle upgrade in the future. I had ran the Currie Rock jock 60 in my CJ-7 and worked really well. Looked at the Ultimate Spicer Dana 60 package a few times on YouTube already.. lol

Last edited by Extremneon; 02-09-2016 at 03:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Nissan GTR - To -JKU Rubicon, Suspension Suggestions and Recommendations