Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Nightshades and Tinted Turn Signals

Old 02-07-2010, 05:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nightshades and Tinted Turn Signals

Ive been looking at some smoked turn signals/marker lights on ebay. The set is $80. Then I started thinking of getting the clear ones from quadratec ($40) because I have a can of night shades in the garage. I dont want to spray the orange ones because I think they will have to be to dark to cover the orange...

I know other people here have hit their lights with night shades and I was just wondering how it holds up? Does it wear off and require additional coats? I dont want to be taking out those marker lights every 6 month to recoat them...
Old 02-07-2010, 05:57 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i did it on my ranger. the nite shade was okay because i was able to polish it. on the jk lights it has all those dimples which will give the light a dull/real matte finish after you shade it. You could try a clear coat over it or something i guess. I wet sanded and polished my rangers after i shaded it...looked MUCH better. But impossible on the JK lights
Old 02-07-2010, 05:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have had nightshades on a ton of vehicles and have never had problems. I get them baked in with clear coat so that helps. Talk to your local paint shop because most will do it. I think I paid 70 for my taillights side markers and turn signals.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by MOJEEP
I have had nightshades on a ton of vehicles and have never had problems. I get them baked in with clear coat so that helps. Talk to your local paint shop because most will do it. I think I paid 70 for my taillights side markers and turn signals.
At that rate I may as well get the smoked ones on ebay for $80...

Thanks for the replies, I think ill save the headaches later and shell out a few extra $$ now...Then ill just throw my factory slenses on there for a few extra bucks
Old 02-07-2010, 07:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jmat1980
At that rate I may as well get the smoked ones on ebay for $80...

Thanks for the replies, I think ill save the headaches later and shell out a few extra $$ now...Then ill just throw my factory slenses on there for a few extra bucks
I'm with you on this. Spend a little more and get it done right the first time around. I'm learning that the hard way with my skycrapper lift!
Old 02-07-2010, 07:16 PM
JK Super Freak

I did mine with the nightshades and it came out great. I just used the stock orange signals, cleaned em real well and sprayed. They still light up like normal at night. For $5 and a little bit of time, I couldn't be happier. It isn't exactly a shiny finish, but it looks way better IMO.

Old 02-07-2010, 07:43 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know that its illegal in VT to tint lights but does anyone know whether its legal in NH? I was thinking of getting the clear LED taillights that have the black backdrop, makes them look tinted but I believe they are legal because they are clear.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rubi08unlimited
I know that its illegal in VT to tint lights but does anyone know whether its legal in NH? I was thinking of getting the clear LED taillights that have the black backdrop, makes them look tinted but I believe they are legal because they are clear.
Live Free or Die baby! I am not too sure about the laws in NH, but I do know they are pretty relaxed. You should be able to find something if you do a google search. I recently looked at the laws in SC and all they say is that your lights have to be visable from 100ft away at night and during the day. I went to college in Keene, and I couldn't imagine a cop pulling you over b/c of a little light tint. NH didn't even have a seat belt law when I went to school there.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Recon makes tinted and clear fender lights and turn signals, and they are LED. pretty sharp, i love em. www.gorecon.com

Quick Reply: Nightshades and Tinted Turn Signals