Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Next Steps...?

Old 02-07-2012, 05:04 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Next Steps...?

Currently my 2010 Rescue Green Mtn Ed. 4D has:
3.5" Rock Krawler Flex System with JK-tuned Fox Shox
5.13 G2 gears, front and rear
35" Goodyear Wrangler Kevlar MT/Rs
Spidertrax wheel spacers

It's mostly a daily driver, but I want it to be able to handle significant offroading when necessary. I like the stock rims, the grey rubi-rims, but they rub on the lower control arms when turning sharply, even with the spacers and so at some point I'd like to swap them for some Pintlers. Should I focus on reinforcing the Dana 30 in the front? Would it be better to replace it with a used Rubi 44? Should I focus on rails and skids? Bumpers? Do I need driveshafts or SYE?

What should my next steps be?

Also, can't get the pc tuned correctly at the dealer for 35's and 5.13s. Should I invest in a tuner or just try and borrow someones?

Some helpful advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old 02-08-2012, 10:12 AM
JK Freak

Still hoping for some advice! Bump it up!
Old 02-08-2012, 10:22 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't think you'll be able to borrower someones because they VIN lock once initially used if I'm remembering correctly.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:27 AM
JK Super Freak

The aev tuners are for one vehicle at a time only. Have to return the vehicle to stock before it will let you use it on another one.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Prime8
Currently my 2010 Rescue Green Mtn Ed. 4D has:
3.5" Rock Krawler Flex System with JK-tuned Fox Shox
5.13 G2 gears, front and rear
35" Goodyear Wrangler Kevlar MT/Rs
Spidertrax wheel spacers

It's mostly a daily driver, but I want it to be able to handle significant offroading when necessary. I like the stock rims, the grey rubi-rims, but they rub on the lower control arms when turning sharply, even with the spacers and so at some point I'd like to swap them for some Pintlers. Should I focus on reinforcing the Dana 30 in the front? Would it be better to replace it with a used Rubi 44? Should I focus on rails and skids? Bumpers? Do I need driveshafts or SYE?

What should my next steps be?

Also, can't get the pc tuned correctly at the dealer for 35's and 5.13s. Should I invest in a tuner or just try and borrow someones?

Some helpful advice would be greatly appreciated!
I'd say that if you have money and want the Jeep to be ready for significant offroading, go ahead and get a Pro-Rock 44. I've read that upgrading your D30 is a potential waste of money (depending on off road driving) and going to a stock Rubi44 wont get you a whole lot of upgrade. Check out the Dynatrac Pro-Rock 44 for a front axle. As far as a driveshaft goes...if you do any sort of flexing with your 3.5" and 35s you will want/need to upgrade your front driveshaft. As far as I can tell you are driving an Auto 4-Door...if thats correct then just the front needs replacing to a skinnier aftermarket shaft due to OE boot tearing.
Skids and rails are always an excellent idea when planning to do any sort of offroading. As far as bumpers go, there are a bunch of write-ups on chopping them into a stubby or even mounting a winch on one. I'd say the only reasons for a bumper at this point is for clearance issues with rock-crawling or winch mounting!

I hope I helped some and if I am wrong about any of the information I'm sure someone will gladly chime in and correct us both!

-Billy
Old 02-08-2012, 10:37 AM
JK Jedi

I would vote axle and lockers first. You can do alot with your current set up and lockers. You and I would wheel at mainly the same places and I get by just fine with 35s and lockers. The stock skid system is more than adequate for what we woudl see around here. Some good rocker guards would help, but Rubi rails have worked fine for me so far, I do LODs on the way. You dont need a winch unless one of your wheeling buddies doesnt have one, someone should always have one in a group. That being said, i have one. Bumpers to me are almost more of styling reference. I ahve LODs and love them, not sure they improve my off road capabilities. The biggest bang for your off roading buck considerign what you already have would be lockers, in my opinion.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:47 PM
JK Freak

Thanks everyone for the thoughtful responses. The current order I'm considering now is:
Rear ARB air locker
Front drive shaft
Tuner
Front axle (rebuild or replacement)
Sliders

Is it better to get rubi rails AND Sliders, or are the Shrockworks or ACE Sliders sufficient alone? Also, due to the cost and quality of the prorock 44, will it vastly outshine my rear Dana 44? In other words, if I put something that awesome on the front, am I going to need something better in the rear?

Quick Reply: Next Steps...?