Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Next mod...? Or a travel companion...?

Old 12-28-2011, 07:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Depends if your more likely to run into some thugs/bears or hit a rock with your front bumper. Good luck
Old 12-28-2011, 07:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can think of a lot of guns that would be a better mountain gun then a .40.... Glocks you either love or hate so if you have not owned or fired a lot of guns I would not buy it just to buy it. Get your jeep parts or be more serious about the gun purchase and go fire a few different ones and buy one that makes sense for what you want it for.
If you want a true mountain or back country gun buy one for that purpose. If you want a basic CCW for around town get one that makes sense for that.
I have a few different guns and I will tell you I don't carry my CCW with the same ammo back country in Colorado.
If you have to actually use your gun against wildlife you will wish you had something more substantial than a .40
Old 12-28-2011, 07:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tslewisz
If a bear is attacking, you don't have to outrun the bear, just your wench! And it's easier if you pop a .40 in her knee.
Have to say this is funny. This is about all a .40 is going to be good for in this situation
Old 12-28-2011, 07:41 AM
JK Freak

I'm still undecided. I was reading a .45 or a magnum round will be better vs a bear. The bumper/wench has been part of my wish list for months. The gun is just a good tool to have but I think a .45 or larger is what I need.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by G520
I'm still undecided. I was reading a .45 or a magnum round will be better vs a bear. The bumper/wench has been part of my wish list for months. The gun is just a good tool to have but I think a .45 or larger is what I need.
If you want a real bear gun get either a .44 mag or 454 don't go off and get a 45 for that... Don't get me wrong I love my 45 but its not a bear gun.
I generally carry a .357 loaded to the hills at 200 grains. The gun is a lot lighter very easy to carry, I am more likely to have an issue with a mountain lion and in the very off chance I had an issue with a bear I can hope LOL I have a .44 Mag but only carry it when I know I am going into bear country because it is a heavier gun and way larger caliber then you need for most things.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:01 AM
JK Junkie

My dad and I both use Single Shot 45-70 rifles. He pulls Hornady LeverRevelutions bullets, and load our own powder in them. My baby in my jeep is depending on my mood. I've got a Ruger Super Black Hawk with 10 1/2 barrel in .44 mag. My normal carry is a CZ 52, it shoots 7.62x25. Beautiful throw in floorboard pistol, takes all the abuse a guy could ever do. My father had one in his youth with his first jeep, i bought 2 for $350 a few years ago, and shoot all the time. Damn thing puts out a fireball though, lol.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:08 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Black_JKU
I'm a gun guy as well as a jeep guy!
If you don't own a good carry pistol then buy it!!
There will always be bumpers... With the ever increasing anti-gun reform out there.. Ya never know....
+1. I never travel without my Glock 26.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:11 AM
JK Newbie

I don't leave the house without my glock 33 or my 1911 in 45. If I am going camping I will toss in my AR or my Shotgun. Just depends on the mood too.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:46 AM
JK Freak

Thanks for all the feedback. I think going magnum is up my alley. .45 was on my list because I want a 1911, but I'd rather have a bear stopper than make mr. bear angry.

I'll just wait for my bonus to get the bumper and wench. I won't be doing much wheeling till then anyhow.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get the gun

Quick Reply: Next mod...? Or a travel companion...?