Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

News tires but i cant get them balanced. Plz help!

Old 06-24-2012, 06:00 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default News tires but i cant get them balanced. Plz help!

Just got new tires for my 2009 JKU. 315/70/17 Falken Wild Peaks. I also have powder coated rims. For some reason my balancing weights will not stay applied to the rims no matter who puts them on. I've had them balanced three times now in the past week. I was just informed that the weights will not stick to the rims because of the powder coating. I had a smaller tire on the rims prior to this set 33x12.50x17 and the weights didn't fall off. I think the powder coater coated the weights on so they wouldn't fall off. The tire place just talked to me about balancing beads. I've never heard of this. Can anyone give me some insight into these beads and price. Or any other ideas you may have that work. My jeep has been down for almost a week now. Please help!!!
Old 06-24-2012, 06:01 AM
JK Junkie

Do balancing beads
Old 06-24-2012, 06:47 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here ya go...

h t t p://www.innovativebalancing.com/index.php
Old 06-24-2012, 07:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if u go with beads ask the installer what he is gonna do for you if they dont work , i tried them last month when i got new tires and wheels and they did not work . some say they have good luck with em but not in my case , my installer removed them and balanced them with weights and all was good
Old 06-27-2012, 09:42 AM
JK Newbie

So my wheels just needed the installer to clean the rim real well then heat the weights with a heat gun before applying them. That way it gave the weight maximum strength to hold. Just FYI. The beads did sound cool tho.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:32 AM
JK Super Freak

The same thing happened to me, I just put a drop of superglue on the edge of the weight. No problems yet...
Old 06-27-2012, 10:40 AM
JK Freak

That's the Gub-ment altering our lives again.

The EPA had tire installers move from lead weights which were more malleable and held to the wheels better than a steel based weight. So now we all have to deal with flying wheel weights and more frequent trips to the tire shop. ht tp://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/09/09/epa-to-ban-lead-tire-weights/

You know.....the Gub-ment knows that cancer caused by those blasted lead wheel weights is out of control. Thank god for the EPA so we can all live better lives. Clowns!
Old 06-27-2012, 02:32 PM
JK Freak

I say clean the area where the weights are going with alcohol pad maybe scuff it with a scotchbrite pad they should stick there are thousands of guys running stick on wheel weights with powdercoated wheels.

Quick Reply: News tires but i cant get them balanced. Plz help!