Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

newbie wheel question

Old 12-22-2007, 05:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie wheel question

Ok I think the stock aluminum 17" rims have a 4" backspacing. I just installed the teraflex budget boost today and at full extention the sway bar still rubs the rear tire a little. To resolve this I can add the spidertrack spacers or the garage that installed them said I could change the rims and the backspacing. But he forgot if it should be increased or decreased? I think the answer is ... no clue so what backspacing should I use on new rims?
Old 12-22-2007, 05:57 PM
JK Junkie

Stock are 6" BS. You need 4.5"-4.75" BS.
Old 12-22-2007, 05:58 PM
JK Super Freak

does this mean the rims are narrower with less backspacing? Or does this mean they stick out a little more?
Old 12-22-2007, 07:26 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The more backspacing, means the wheels are closer to the inside. Less backspacing means the tires/rims will stick out further.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

sigh...

The back spacing tells you how deep the inboard dished out cavity is.

Lay the rim outboard side down on the floor, measure up from the hub face to the top of the rim's flange...that's the BS.

The more BS, the deeper the dish....the deeper the dish, the tighter the rim is tucked into the wheel well.

The rim's width is not changed by the backspacing....the BS just tells you how far over the brakes, etc, the rim will cover/how close the inboard edge of the rim will be to the wheel well side components.

ALSO - the OEM rims have 6.25" of BS.

Less BS, and the rims stick OUT more, because they tuck in less, etc.

A SPACER REDUCES the BS, because it makes the dish less deep, by essentially moving the hub face inboard, pushing the rim outboard.

So, a 1.5" spacer will make your OEM 6.25" BS rim fit like a 4.75" BS rim.

Old 12-23-2007, 08:01 AM
JK Newbie

TEEJ,

while I agree with what you are trying to communicate as far as backspacing, you are correct.

One statement you made though is incorrect and could definitely be confusing because what you said is the exact opposite....

Originally Posted by TEEJ
The more BS, the deeper the dish....the deeper the dish, the tighter the rim is tucked into the wheel well.
"Deep dish" is a reference from the outside of the wheel, not the inside. A deep dish wheel has LESS backspacing and typically negative offset. Deep dish is a reference to the deepness of the lip when looking at it from the outside.

While I understand what you meant (inside), using the reference "deeper dish" is confusing because "dish" is only ever referenced to the outside.

To the original poster,

Take a look at this picture. This is how backspacing is measured. As you can see, the more backspacing the more the wheel would tuck in. The less, the more the wheel would stick out.

For example, imagine if this wheel only had 1" of backspacing, it would stick out a whole lot, right?

Last edited by bad63lac; 12-23-2007 at 08:04 AM.
Old 12-23-2007, 10:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Yeah - I did say the inboard dished out side, so I had given a context, albeit I can see how for someone forgetting that context , it could be confusing. I assumed in this case that the reader had ZERO context, based upon the nature of the question though.

So - perhaps I need a new word to describe the inboard dished out cavity...maybe inboard concavity?

For the record though, a "Deep Dished Rim" DOES typically refer to its appearance from the outboard side, meaning LESS BS....in case anyone else is still confused.

I KNEW a pic would have been helpful, but I'm typing between helping getting the house ready for a party....

Thanks for clarifying that.

Quick Reply: newbie wheel question