Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

newbie suspension questions

Old 06-27-2015, 03:05 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jchappies
you need to look at your whole suspension......if you get longer shocks those brake drop brackets will be to short and you will end up ripping your brake lines out at full droop, you will need longer brake lines. You also need to look at full compression, if your bump stops are to short with a longer shock body you will damage your shock. If your going to piece a kit together you should look at complete kits and see what's in them. there's a reason why a manufacture doesn't add shocks made for a 4in lift to a 2in kit.
👍 I agree with most of what you said, buttttt it is possible with coil spacers correct length bump stops and spring retainers.
Old 06-27-2015, 04:55 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive said it once and ill say it again... Dont get shocks by lift height. Fenders and tire size affect that. one guy on a 2" lift and 37s with stock fenders shouldn't use the same shock as a guy with 2" on rubi tires with say metalcloak because they both have a 2" lift. Massive amounts of travel could be wasted. Doing it correct will yield much better results than half assing it and getting a set shock length.
Old 06-27-2015, 05:28 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

You will be better off piecing your set up over some time then trying to order everything at once. Start with the coils, spacers, adjustable front track bar, raised rear axle side track bar bracket (get one with multiple mounting locations). Install these things and center your axles. Once you have your ride height you can determine the shock length by articulating your suspension and see where the tires rub and the coils fall out. Note where the tires rub as this will be the minimum amount of bump stop you will need. Depending on what the compressed shock length you buy you may need more bump stop. Add limiting straps so you don't full extend the shocks.

This way may take a couple of weeks to dial in but at lest you have it sized correctly, most lifted jeeps I see are poorly set up with shocks and bump stops and most people install whatever was in the "kit".

I would not mess with swapping coils if doing a spacer lift as you really don't gain anything but a stiffer ride. You would be better off with a softer coil rate that is longer and will offer more travel.
Old 06-27-2015, 05:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
You will be better off piecing your set up over some time then trying to order everything at once. Start with the coils, spacers, adjustable front track bar, raised rear axle side track bar bracket (get one with multiple mounting locations). Install these things and center your axles. Once you have your ride height you can determine the shock length by articulating your suspension and see where the tires rub and the coils fall out. Note where the tires rub as this will be the minimum amount of bump stop you will need. Depending on what the compressed shock length you buy you may need more bump stop. Add limiting straps so you don't full extend the shocks. This way may take a couple of weeks to dial in but at lest you have it sized correctly, most lifted jeeps I see are poorly set up with shocks and bump stops and most people install whatever was in the "kit". I would not mess with swapping coils if doing a spacer lift as you really don't gain anything but a stiffer ride. You would be better off with a softer coil rate that is longer and will offer more travel.
What coils would you suggest?
Old 06-27-2015, 06:08 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

I would suggest you get coils that meet your wants and needs. I try very hard not to recommend brands. Coils can be got with different rates and ride qualities and you will find a rather large selection out there. You may want two totally different coils say if you are looking to max out your articulation or if you are looking at ride quality on the highway. Then again you may not car about such things and just want height.
Old 06-27-2015, 07:03 AM
JK Newbie

The set up I posted works. Do I have it done no. But I know people who do. If you like I could send you the links to their YouTube videos. I'm sure they are members to this forum but I don't wanna put anybody on blast. I 100% understand where everyone is coming from but it is a proven reliable setup. If anything the Rubicon coils would be the weak link because theyagree known to soften up over time.
Old 06-27-2015, 07:46 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

The is no such thing as " rubicon" coils with the exception of the 10a and maybe the hr editions.

What do you mean by proven?
Old 06-27-2015, 08:05 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
The is no such thing as " rubicon" coils with the exception of the 10a and maybe the hr editions.

What do you mean by proven?
I know that and I'm sure everyone else does too, but most consider the higher spring rates (18,19,59&60) to be Rubicon coils. Just an easier way to say it instead of putting down a bunch of numbers and two letters. And by "proven" thew set up has been proved to work. Anything else you wanna pick apart?

Last edited by JoeK; 06-27-2015 at 08:08 AM.
Old 06-27-2015, 08:46 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jchappies
there's a reason why a manufacture doesn't add shocks made for a 4in lift to a 2in kit.
Not true. RK recommends longer shocks for their 2.5" lift. They recommend the 3.5"-5" shocks, or the fox 4-6" shocks (what I ran with mine) etc etc. Metalcloak can run longer shocks with their 2.5" and 3.5" springs also. I could easily stick a set of 2.5" MC springs on with my fox 4-6" shocks and with the shock fully extended at full flex the springs would still be seated in the coil brackets. And at full stuff the shock is nearly bottomed out.
Old 06-27-2015, 11:36 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by JoeK
I know that and I'm sure everyone else does too, but most consider the higher spring rates (18,19,59&60) to be Rubicon coils. Just an easier way to say it instead of putting down a bunch of numbers and two letters. And by "proven" thew set up has been proved to work. Anything else you wanna pick apart?

By referring those coils to Rubicons can confuse new jeepers and they may mistake any rubicon coil as something different and may waste money buying them without knowing about the different coil rates so I would say the semantics are valid. There is nothing special about those coil rates and can get them on a Sahara JKU with hardtop and tow package but I never see anyone refer to running Sahara coils.

Yes, they will physically fit and will give you a minor bump in height and are good for mostly stock jeeps that may have added steel bumpers and a winch to regain the factory height. But to the point of not gaining anything is the fact that you have the same compression/expansion of any other factory coil except the 10A and are limited to the 8.5" or so of factory travel. Running longer travel shocks will unseat the coils. You could add limit straps by why would you swap coils, add a spacer, and long travel shocks to maintain the factory suspension travel? After market coils will be longer and will take the longer travel of the shocks therefore increasing the available suspension travel.

Quick Reply: newbie suspension questions