Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

newbie suspension questions

Old 06-25-2015, 06:12 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie suspension questions

whats up everybody? I have a 2011 2 door jk. im looking to piece together a suspension and it consists of rancho rs999331 and rs999332 long travel adjustable shocks, rubi springs 19's and 60's, 2 inch extended bumpstops, 2 inch coil spacers, quick disconnects, spring retainers, 35" m/t's, 1.5" wheel spacers and cut fenders. oo and possible shock relocation brackets. my questions start with track bars, steering stabilizer and swaybars. they confuse the crap out of me. im coming off an i.f.s. fj cruiser so the set ups are different. so with the suspension set up I have listed what should I do with the track arms, sway bars and steering stabilizer? im on a pretty tight budget. any help ,guidance, ball busting and info would be appreciated.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Relocate your steering stabilizer on top of your tie rod. I nearly ripped mine off. Rancho makes a good cheap stabilizer. You arent lifting that much and you likely wont have any issues with your track bar/axle location.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:25 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why are you running such a long shock for 2in of lift? That shock is made for 4in lifts.
I agree with relocating your SS to the top.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:29 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Albino Lizard
Relocate your steering stabilizer on top of your tie rod. I nearly ripped mine off. Rancho makes a good cheap stabilizer. You arent lifting that much and you likely wont have any issues with your track bar/axle location.
how much lift do you think I would achieve with this setup? 3-4"'s?
Old 06-25-2015, 07:30 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jchappies
Why are you running such a long shock for 2in of lift? That shock is made for 4in lifts.
Lift height and shock length/travel are not really related that much. Technically they are to an extreme, but your bumps and coil length extended are more so the determining factor for shocks.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:31 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jchappies
the prices are half decent for the shocks, so I figured for the long run if I did wanna go with a higher lift at least I have the shocks.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:40 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Maertz
Lift height and shock length/travel are not really related that much. Technically they are to an extreme, but your bumps and coil length extended are more so the determining factor for shocks.
judging by your pic, you know how to flex. how does the setup im looking to do sound to you?
Old 06-25-2015, 08:10 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeK

judging by your pic, you know how to flex. how does the setup im looking to do sound to you?
Im on mobile and didnt look up the shock lengths. If there long enough to hit your frame and require the shock relocations id say your coils will be falling out. Best way to measure shocks is to get your tires on and set bumps to keep them off your fenders ect. Then measure your full bump and get a shock thats collapsed is in that range. Then yku can either get the longest extended in that option and run retainers wich many will argue defeats the purpose. Or get ones extended thats just before your coil unseats.

I ran 17 collapsed x 29 extended shocks on 35s and cut fenders around 4" lift. I used all of the travel i think i had 2.5" bumps but thats been a long time. Pics are in my build thread somewhere. I did have to move my shock mounts and retain my coils

Last edited by Maertz; 06-25-2015 at 08:14 AM.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JoeK

how much lift do you think I would achieve with this setup? 3-4"'s?
It's really only lift over where you are now. You'll probably get about 3" from your current setup depending on bumpers etc. But you'll only be 2" taller than a Rubicon. Plenty to clear 35's with cut fenders.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:13 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With that longer shock body your going to need your bump stop setup correctly so you don't bottom out your shocks.
You may also need extended brake lines which I don't see on your list

Quick Reply: newbie suspension questions