Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

NEWBIE questions?

Old 02-13-2010, 11:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEWBIE questions?

I have just purchased a 2010 Rubicon and I am in the market for a lift and larger tires.. SURPRISE SURPRISE.. anyways I will be selling my stock tires and rims. I was wondering does my stock tires have the tpms? and if they do... do I need to remove them for the aftermarket tires I am going to purchase before selling them? if not what is the procedure to bypass their functionality?
Old 02-13-2010, 12:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

According to the NHTSA regulation all vehicles sold after 2008 will have TPMS. So, yes, you have TPMS.

You can remove the original ones and have them installed in your aftermarket rims. It's your Jeep; You can also have them removed and throw them away. If you run larger tires at lower pressures the TPMS light will always be on and the right side of the gauge cluster will always be max brightness.

For changing TPMS pressures, Speedometer Tire size, etc google AEV ProCal. There are others but that is the first one that comes to mind. I think people dial the pressure down to 0 basically disabling TPMS.
Old 02-13-2010, 03:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thank you for the information.
Old 02-13-2010, 03:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Is it against the law for the owner to remove TPMS after purchase?
Old 02-13-2010, 05:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by dmhines
It is a requirement on all vehicles from the 2008 model year onward. I did some research on this. The legislation does not require replacement tires to have TPMS. Small loop hole in that law. TPMS has to be there from the factory. After you change tires it doesn't have to be there.

Thank You Firestone.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Vernnz
It is a requirement on all vehicles from the 2008 model year onward. I did some research on this. The legislation does not require replacement tires to have TPMS. Small loop hole in that law. TPMS has to be there from the factory. After you change tires it doesn't have to be there.

Thank You Firestone.
If your state has vehicle inspection you will fail if the TPMS warning light is on. You would need to do something to get rid of the light. reprogramming or removing the lamp are 2 options.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dmhines
A lot of stupid things are against the law...We've managed to get by for over 100 years without tire pressure monitors...I think we'll be ok.
Old 02-14-2010, 03:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by davidwm71
If your state has vehicle inspection you will fail if the TPMS warning light is on. You would need to do something to get rid of the light. reprogramming or removing the lamp are 2 options.
As was stated above, google Procal Module. It'll fix all your problems except marriage and pregnancy...
Old 03-17-2010, 01:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just went ahead and mounted the new aftermarket tires without the TPMS.. please do not alert the authorities.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:23 PM
JK Junkie

I mounted my aftermarket wheels with TPMS. It was a direct swap over. Just needed a rebuild kit for them.

Quick Reply: NEWBIE questions?