Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
View Poll Results: Is a Sport right?
YES
77.78%
NO
22.22%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Newbie Question - is a Sport the way to go for modifications

Old 10-06-2016, 05:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

I typed a huge response and realized it wasn't necessary. Get a sport if you plan to upgrade everything. Get a rubi if you want to finance the same hardware for 7 years and end up replacing the crap before it's paid off.. Your question doesnt sound like you're after a rock crawler that would benefit from a D44/E-lockers/4:1 transfer case. You will be able to hit mud holes, dirt roads and the occasional small rock ledge with a sport JK on 35's with a 3" lift and still come in $20,000k cheaper than the rubicon with all the options that will make your cringe when you accidentally rip off an electric mirror or damage the electronics with water/mud.
Old 10-06-2016, 06:27 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JkHauler
Welcome to the forum. I typed a huge response and realized it wasn't necessary. Get a sport if you plan to upgrade everything. Get a rubi if you want to finance the same hardware for 7 years and end up replacing the crap before it's paid off.. Your question doesnt sound like you're after a rock crawler that would benefit from a D44/E-lockers/4:1 transfer case. You will be able to hit mud holes, dirt roads and the occasional small rock ledge with a sport JK on 35's with a 3" lift and still come in $20,000k cheaper than the rubicon with all the options that will make your cringe when you accidentally rip off an electric mirror or damage the electronics with water/mud.
Thanks JkHauler. I am definitely looking at a sport now as my base plan. If I want something bigger in a few years I guess I can always paint the sport purple and let the wife drive it while I trade up.
Old 10-06-2016, 07:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bginn
Thanks JkHauler. I am definitely looking at a sport now as my base plan. If I want something bigger in a few years I guess I can always paint the sport purple and let the wife drive it while I trade up.
No prob. As you can see everyone has a different opinion which is fine. But sometimes it's easier to understand cutting through the content of their message and getting straight to the point. I wheeled a sport for 8 years with a D30, no lockers on a 3" lift and 35's. It'll go everywhere you will be wanting to go and more with the correct lines and good spotting. Have fun!
Old 10-06-2016, 02:13 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Talk to anyone who has done hard trails. Open/Open makes the trail a pain in the ass. You lock the front and the rear you can breeze through it. If you don't believe me go on YouTube there are plenty of videos where the sport struggles to get to the top and the Rubi just walks right up.

Yes your line will dictate how you go up but lockers just makes it easier. It's almost like cheating...😎

Quick Reply: Newbie Question - is a Sport the way to go for modifications