Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Newbie Question regarding tires and suspension

Old 11-02-2009, 07:23 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Question regarding tires and suspension

So I'm an obvious newbie, just picked up a 2007 JK with 19k miles on it 2 weeks ago. First mod I want to do is get new tires on the stock rims. I am looking at the Goodyear Duratrac 275/70/r18s, or the 275/65/r18s. Regarding suspension, if I want to run these with the least amount of other mods, what is my best route to go? I've seen some posts on here with people who have done Spacers & disconnects, or leveling kits...but I'm not 100% familiar with the technical aspect of this. Can someone further explain.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:48 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you done so already, you may want to check the FAQ regarding lift and tires:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/modified-tech-faq-answers-questions-every-newbie-has-18617/

and this active thread which addresses a very similar question:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/33s-stock-sahara-104851/
Old 11-02-2009, 09:34 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Get the leveling kit (raises the front 2" and the rear 1")

Go with the 275/70/r18, since it is about an inch taller than the other one. Both sizes are under 11" wide, so you shouldn't have any issues using the stock rims. If you want a 'wider' stance, add wheel spacers to push the tires out 1.5" on each side.

Adding disconnects is a preference. Take it offroad with just the lift and tires and see how it performs. If you decide you want a bit more articulation, add a set. If it performs ok as is, don't worry about it. (or check the write-ups area for threads on making your stock links into disco's with cheap parts from the hardware store.)
Old 11-02-2009, 10:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by nthinuf

Go with the 275/70/r18, since it is about an inch taller than the other one. Both sizes are under 11" wide, so you shouldn't have any issues using the stock rims. If you want a 'wider' stance, add wheel spacers to push the tires out 1.5" on each side.

Adding disconnects is a preference. Take it offroad with just the lift and tires and see how it performs. If you decide you want a bit more articulation, add a set. If it performs ok as is, don't worry about it. (or check the write-ups area for threads on making your stock links into disco's with cheap parts from the hardware store.)
Good advice here but you can actually run these tires on a stock set up. I have a strong suspicion that you decide that you want a little more lift and tire real soon.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Definitely read up on the tech link that spinlock posted. If you want to run stock tires and give it a little lift, I like the Teraflex 2" in the front 1" in the back leveling kit. It takes out the factory rake (lower in the front end from the factory). I put it on my Rubicon 2dr with some 1.5" hubcentric wheel spacers and it looks pretty good. I paid $119 shipped from Northridge 4x4.
Easy install, I'm running it until I can save up for the lift and tires I want.

http://www.northridge4x4.com/proddet...rod=TF-1155200

Last edited by KSRubicon; 11-02-2009 at 11:09 AM.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:03 PM
JK Freak

Default i run 32

i have no problem other then shitty gas mileage
Old 11-05-2009, 07:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nthinuf

Once you install the leveling kit is there any thing else needed. IE: adjustable track bars, longer shocks, brake line brackets etc..
Old 11-05-2009, 08:26 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Needed, no.

They are preferences...

Stock shocks will limit travel slightly, longer shocks or shock extensions will allow a bit more. (Shock extensions are inexpensive and would work fine up front, but aren't needed. Or, if you don't like the ride from the factory shocks, and have no intention of going to a taller lift, you could consider new shocks)

At only 2"/1" of lift, the axles won't be shifted enough to need trackbars or relo brackets. (add them when you get around to it if the slight axle offset bugs you...)

The front brake lines have plenty of slack build in, and the rears will be fine with only 1" of lift back there. (or, if it makes you feel better having them, spend $5 at the hardware store and add a set to the rear. Quick and easy)

The only issue you may run into is with disconnecting and the possibility of having the new, taller, front tires contact the fenders. Bumpstops are inexpensive, but you may not know that you need them until you actually disconnect and flex. (it is much better to install them when you add the kit, rather than finding out afterward and having to tear the front end apart a second time to add them. - ask me how I know... )

Quick Reply: Newbie Question regarding tires and suspension