Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

newbie with a question

Old 03-17-2016, 06:02 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie with a question

So I am going to be purchasing a used JK within the next few months and am doing my research on everything now. My question is if I am buying a used JK from a dealership that does no have a good understanding of the mods done with a lift and 35's already on it, is there an easy way to tell if it has been regeared already and what the quality of the lift is? Now I have no experience with jeeps and very little maintenance experience in general besides basic stuff. I'm guessing I could take it to a local 4x4 shop and they can look it over for me, or would I just be better off buying a used stock JK that way I know exactly what is going into it. But with that being said I'd be on a budget and probably wouldn't be able to throw some nice new tires and wheels on there for a few months after getting it, which is why I wanted one with tires wheels and a little lift already on it as a base start for whatever I plan to do to it next. BTW this would be a daily driver as well at least for a little while with once or twice a month on the trails. Again complete newbie here looking for peoples opinions.
Old 03-17-2016, 11:48 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Take pictures of the suspension and the underside and post them for opinions. There's a good bet someone here will help narrow down the specific lift. And a bunch of scrapes, or lack thereof, on the undercarriage could possibly tell about the former use. But anything that looks odd or off, snap a pic and ask.

For the gearing, you can pop the covers and count teeth, which you very likely will not want to do. Or you can use a jack, lift one tire, spin the tire and count driveshaft revolutions. One revolution of the tire and four revolutions of the driveshaft = 4.10's. One rev of tire and 5 revs of driveshaft = 5.13, etc. Use tape or a marking pen of something on the tire/ground and up on the driveshaft to make it easier to see. (I forget now, but maybe it's one tire rev when both tires on that axle are in the air, but if only one is up you need to spin the tire twice?)
Old 03-17-2016, 12:10 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Take pictures of the suspension and the underside and post them for opinions. There's a good bet someone here will help narrow down the specific lift. And a bunch of scrapes, or lack thereof, on the undercarriage could possibly tell about the former use. But anything that looks odd or off, snap a pic and ask.

For the gearing, you can pop the covers and count teeth, which you very likely will not want to do. Or you can use a jack, lift one tire, spin the tire and count driveshaft revolutions. One revolution of the tire and four revolutions of the driveshaft = 4.10's. One rev of tire and 5 revs of driveshaft = 5.13, etc. Use tape or a marking pen of something on the tire/ground and up on the driveshaft to make it easier to see. (I forget now, but maybe it's one tire rev when both tires on that axle are in the air, but if only one is up you need to spin the tire twice?)
Thank you for the response! haven't went and looked at any in person yet just been scoping around online lately.
Old 03-17-2016, 12:52 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by gator91
So I am going to be purchasing a used JK within the next few months and am doing my research on everything now. My question is if I am buying a used JK from a dealership that does no have a good understanding of the mods done with a lift and 35's already on it, is there an easy way to tell if it has been regeared already and what the quality of the lift is? Now I have no experience with jeeps and very little maintenance experience in general besides basic stuff. I'm guessing I could take it to a local 4x4 shop and they can look it over for me, or would I just be better off buying a used stock JK that way I know exactly what is going into it. But with that being said I'd be on a budget and probably wouldn't be able to throw some nice new tires and wheels on there for a few months after getting it, which is why I wanted one with tires wheels and a little lift already on it as a base start for whatever I plan to do to it next. BTW this would be a daily driver as well at least for a little while with once or twice a month on the trails. Again complete newbie here looking for peoples opinions.
Is this a manual or auto? Warranty or none? Be carefull they may try to sell you a warranty when in fact wont cover a manual or a lifted jeep of a certen height . Be sure to look it over very well. I bought used 08 jk ruby 35s 4in lift manual and got highly screwed.. P M me if you have any questions.
Old 03-17-2016, 12:54 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

And be sure to post the year and the transmission along with the pics. There could be some other things to be aware of depending on the year/model/ trans/engine/axle, etc.
Old 03-18-2016, 06:35 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Greenmanalishi
Is this a manual or auto? Warranty or none? Be carefull they may try to sell you a warranty when in fact wont cover a manual or a lifted jeep of a certen height . Be sure to look it over very well. I bought used 08 jk ruby 35s 4in lift manual and got highly screwed.. P M me if you have any questions.
Looking for an auto right now, probably not going to end up purchasing until May so just getting as much information as I can right now again thanks for all these responses!

Quick Reply: newbie with a question