Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

newbie question...

Old 02-23-2014, 10:40 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie question...

Do I need to upgrade my D30 front to run 35s? Do I go 44 or just a beefier Axel?
Old 02-23-2014, 11:07 PM
JK Newbie

I'm no mechanical expert by any means. But I run 35 ' s on my 30 have no issues with that. But re - gearing might be something to think about.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:20 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Escoffier
Do I need to upgrade my D30 front to run 35s? Do I go 44 or just a beefier Axel?
What do you plan on doing with your Jeep? And what year Jeep and type tranny do you have (helps if you fill out your profile info so folks can offer more informed answers)? What is your current gear ratio?

Anyway, I've been running 35s on my front D30. I did regear to 4.88s for my '07 with a six speed. I've also gusseted the axle Cs (recommended regardless of whether you have a D30 or D44), sleeved the axles (ditto on recommended; trussing is another option), and upgraded the axle shafts to Chromoly. I also have lockers on both axles (I mention that only because some folks will say to never lock a D30--it's worked okay so far for me, but it is very rare for me to lock the front). Mine has been doing well for the type of off-roading I do, which isn't much hardcore rock crawling anymore, but lots of overlanding and expedition type trips. Here's a video to give you an idea. My Jeep is the green four door. Even though you'll see a number of different Jeeps in it, and even a Land Rover Defender, bear in mind that everyone took that same obstacles ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQHYl2Kp5ww
Old 02-24-2014, 06:55 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the quick response!

I guess I really didn't give a whole out of info. I have a '12 jku auto with 3.21. I know I have to regear (leaning to 4.56). I plan to use this mostly as an overland rig but I want it to be able to handle a variety of challenges. I know I got the bare min at the dealership with plans to build it to what I want. That being said I plan on maybe 1-2 trails a month and maybe 1-2 major overland trips a year. The end goal for me is drive from Nevada to Denali.

Thanks for any and all advice, this is a great community and forum!
Old 02-24-2014, 09:31 AM
Former Vendor

It comes down to your style of wheeling and what kind of trails you are planning on running. I have been running 35's on my D30 for about a year. Sometimes I am a bit aggressive and use to much throttle. When I am too aggressive I tend to break a u-joint or shaft. I haven't upgraded the shafts at all because I want the weak link to be something easy to change and something that will allow me to drive it out of the trails.

The PR44 is on the way so that should allow me to go to 37's with out worrying.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:29 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Thanks for the quick response!

I guess I really didn't give a whole out of info. I have a '12 jku auto with 3.21. I know I have to regear (leaning to 4.56). I plan to use this mostly as an overland rig but I want it to be able to handle a variety of challenges. I know I got the bare min at the dealership with plans to build it to what I want. That being said I plan on maybe 1-2 trails a month and maybe 1-2 major overland trips a year. The end goal for me is drive from Nevada to Denali.

Thanks for any and all advice, this is a great community and forum!
You sound very similar to me--except I get out on big runs more (the luxury of being retired). Check out my build on the link below my signature (in a web browser, not the app). Also be sure to check out the "Expedition Jeeps--Let's See 'Em" thread. Literally hundreds of pages of ideas and builds and runs.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:11 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
You sound very similar to me--except I get out on big runs more (the luxury of being retired). Check out my build on the link below my signature (in a web browser, not the app). Also be sure to check out the "Expedition Jeeps--Let's See 'Em" thread. Literally hundreds of pages of ideas and builds and runs.
Already following that thread, great stuff.

Great rig BTW, really impressive. With a D30 and only 2.5 lift? Maybe i need to rethink how much lift i really need. I was looking at the AEV 3.5 because i thought i needed that much to fit 35s. I saw someone already say it and im going to repeat it... you have the golden standard for overlanding rigs. I hope to one day get to where you are...but these things are money pits!
Old 02-25-2014, 12:36 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

... these things are money pits!
Amen to that! And you're never done modifying. Yes, 2.5" lift and 35s (Duratracs, which run "small") have worked well for me. Had to do a little trimming of the pinch seam, and wheels have 4.5" backspace. TF rear springs sag when fully loaded. so use 2.5" OME HD springs with the 2.5" TF lift. And the rear spring correction wedges give another 1/2" or so of lift.

Quick Reply: newbie question...