Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

A newbie needs lift advice

Old 04-08-2012, 07:53 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

running 2011 sahara, goodyear duratracs 33.4x11.5x18inch and daystar 1.75inch front and rear spacer lift. it gets a good workout on canadian forest roads almost everyday for work and holds up great. 1300 for tires and 200 for lift. canadian pricing as well, so I'm generally paying higher than USD. looks good too, and won't harm your jeeps suspension and driveline like bigger, incomplete kits.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by allwaystvjim
I have automatic, I live in florida so it's flat down here, but that doesn't mean I won't go off roading nice and a while. If I forget the lift what's the biggest tire and wheel without all the other stuff involved, and if I did change the hearing how much should that cost and what does it entail
Regearing a 4wd will cost anywhere from $1K to $1500 depending on the installer. The largest tires you can effectively fit without any lift are 33x11.50 with 16 or 17 inch rims. Given how flat Florida is and your automatic, I would not worry about regearing unless you go with 35 inch tires. And I would go with 4.88 gears if you go with 35 inch tires. If you stick to 33" tires, don't regear. No need. The change in gas mileage is miniscule. You're wasting money on regearing with 33 inch tires. If I were in your shoes this is what I would do:

33x11.50 tires with 16 inch rims that have 5 inches of backspacing (if you want to keep your tires within your fender flares; otherwise, get rims with 4.5 inches of backspacing). Total after install fee you're looking at spending roughly $1400 or so on just tires and rims. With $900 left to spare I would do Teraflex 2.5" coil lift. If that's too hefty of a price after install than opt for a puck spacer budget boost. In order to fix the front rake I would individually purchase 1.75" spacers for the rear and 2.5" spacers for the front. Teraflex makes both.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:03 PM
JK Newbie

I'm basically in the same boat. I've got a 2009 Sahara, looking to do rims, wheels, and a lift with 3 grand. This thread has been wicked helpful.
My question for whoever, if I did a 3 or 4 inch lift, is it necessary (for looks sake) to do a tire above 32? What range of tire size is ideal?
Old 04-08-2012, 09:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by outdoor-rockstar
I'm basically in the same boat. I've got a 2009 Sahara, looking to do rims, wheels, and a lift with 3 grand. This thread has been wicked helpful.
My question for whoever, if I did a 3 or 4 inch lift, is it necessary (for looks sake) to do a tire above 32? What range of tire size is ideal?
No. I once had a 2" puck spacer lift with 33's. I installed 3.25" coils on my 2dr that netted me a solid 4" of lift. I still have my 33's. Personally, I like the look. The flex is outstanding too. Just make sure you have the proper bump stops so when flexing you don't pop your springs.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:49 AM
JK Newbie

This is great stuff everyone, thanks for taking the time to help. I think I will go with 33.s and a 2" bb. Anyone have a great website to purchase the wheels and tires?

Quick Reply: A newbie needs lift advice