Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Newbie needs help from one/all of the many JK gods out there!

Old 02-19-2012, 03:58 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie needs help from one/all of the many JK gods out there!

Got my first Jeep at the wonderful age of 27, a JKU of course! Immediately went to work, Mickey Thompson DCIIs, set of 315/70r17 MTR w/ Kevlar, installed the RE 3.5" lift w/ adjustable track bar and gen2 discos. All was good, a little loose, just needed a good alignment and Oahu's recon laws require me to get it professionally aligned for paperwork reasons. Due to convenience and a referral from a friend I went to a auto shop that does not necessarily specialize in off-rod alignments, but to be fair, they should be able to do it. (I screwed up!!) Anyways, after an hour and a half the mechanic came to me and stated that in order to get the jeep properly aligned a cam and bolt kit needed to be installed on the control arms to get the proper alignment...this exact kit came with my RE lift kit, so like a newb I thought ok I'll run home and get them. So I did, brought them back and let the work begin...about 2 hours later, after asking what could be taking so long, the mechanic told me that the bolts that came with the kit were too big. (this is to adjust the lower control arm) He then stated that he had ordered the correct bolts and they had just gotten in and he would gladly install them, but I had to pay for them. (of course!) He also took me out to look at the vehicle to show me and I said, "just get it done!" (in the nicest way possible that is...) I should probably preface all of this by saying I had gotten about 4 hours of sleep in the last 48 hours due to a "fun" work schedule. (excuses!) After 7 hours of moving in and out of consciousness sitting in a auto shop waiting room the work was completed. $400 dollars later I was supposed to have a professional alignment by the most experienced off-road mechanic on the island! (yeah I said $400, screwed up again!)

3 days later, turning onto a crap road of Oahu, a small bump sent my front end into a full on "crap my pants" death wobble. Pissed would be an understatement! So I tried to find the problem working w/ my very good buddy (also a JKU owner) and could find nothing loose in the trackbar or the rest of the Jeep. I wasn't until he looked under the axle and saw the terror of what was now my lower control arm bracket beneath the front axle, that he found what could be causing it...

Click image for larger version

Name:	021.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	279984Click image for larger version

Name:	022.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	279985Click image for larger version

Name:	025.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	279986Click image for larger version

Name:	028.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	279987

If you think this is/could be the problem let me know, plz! Like I said I am new to the Jeep lifestyle, but it's been running through my veins for a long time...Any guidance is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 02-19-2012, 04:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

You should not have cam bolts on the lowers controlarm's. That is more that likely your problem if your control arms are factory the only the that needs to be aligned is your tow and centering of the steering wheel. The castor come factory set.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yikes! Cam bolts! kinda late, but ditch them if you can.

Looks like things are moving around. Everything tightened to torque specs?
Old 02-19-2012, 05:47 PM
JK Newbie

All is torqued, the shop changed the factory square hole to a 1" rectangle. I plan on taking it back in tomorrow to try and get my money back and get it fixed

Last edited by Dthompson4; 02-19-2012 at 05:53 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:03 PM
JK Super Freak

yeah you got screwed. good luck getting your money back, at this point you're probably better off just finding an offroad shop and handing your jeep over to them to fix up

Quick Reply: Newbie needs help from one/all of the many JK gods out there!