Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

newbie in need of direction

Old 08-08-2012, 02:35 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie in need of direction

here's my situation, i have a new 2012 wrangler unlimited with the basics. i am planning on putting 16in pro comp wheels along with 33's tires. would also like to lift it about 2 inches just for looks. looking at the 2.5in teraflex bb. would i need a aev procal module, re- gearing, or any other modifications? also will i need a spare tire spacer for the spare tire carrier? any info would be helpful.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:42 PM
DV3
JK Enthusiast

I'm no expert but the the AEV procal will cover the larger tires and lift. The gearing depends on what you have, currently, and what you plan on doing with your jeep.
I have a 2012 JKU sport with 33" tires, 3:73 gears, and no lift and used the procal to recal my speedo/shift points.
Also, the wheels will need a backspacing of 4.5" or less or you will need wheel spacers, and my 33" with 17x9 wheel spare fit factory tire carrier fine.
Good luck!

Last edited by DV3; 08-08-2012 at 02:46 PM.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

2" lift with 33 x 12.5, I didn't have to use a procal, . No need to Re-cal for speedo, my gps shows same speed as my gauge. Might consider re-gearing as I lost power on my 6th gear. And no need for spacer for spare, my buddy runs a 35 on his spare tire carrier.

Last edited by AlphaRomeo15; 08-08-2012 at 02:55 PM.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:27 PM
JK Newbie

with 2 "and 33" believe that it is not necessary the procal module, anyway don't you think best idea a kit 2.5 "with springs instead of BB, I took him in my jk and works very well
Old 08-08-2012, 04:38 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cubman
here's my situation, i have a new 2012 wrangler unlimited with the basics. i am planning on putting 16in pro comp wheels along with 33's tires. would also like to lift it about 2 inches just for looks. looking at the 2.5in teraflex bb. would i need a aev procal module, re- gearing, or any other modifications? also will i need a spare tire spacer for the spare tire carrier? any info would be helpful.
As far as the gears are concerned, what gears do you have now? IN the end, if you are going to do a lot of offroading you will want the final ratio to respond as if you had stock tires on 4:10 gears.

Below is a handy calculator which compares gearing and tire sizes. By playing with it I have learned that 35's with a Jeep that has 4:10s performs like a stock tire on 3:73s.
Moving to 33's will impact your torgue which is not what you want to lose when offroadiing.
MFactory Competition Products - Forged Transmission Components

Quick Reply: newbie in need of direction