Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Newbie lift question time is short

Old 10-14-2013, 12:20 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie lift question time is short

Hey guys I need the down and dirty simple answer for this question. Not I would recommend, I need to know whAt I need for sure the wifey gave me a short time line to buy it before funding is cut lol ... Ok here goes ... I have a 2 dr 12 sport manual on 17x9 wheels and 33s with 170lbs front bumper stock rear bumper ... I want to get the ome 2 in hd lift what do I need that doesn't come in the kit that is a must have? ( of I have to change the drive shafts ill get the light duty coils )
Old 10-14-2013, 01:58 AM
JK Junkie

It will depend on the height. Google or call OME and see what their coils average on a 2 door.
Do you have heavy modifications ie bumpers/winch/tire carrier ?
Weight will bring it down some.

Synergy offers many different sizes for 2 door and 4 door. If you get matching sizes front and back, on a light weight jeep the rake will still be retained. Recommended is 1" higher in the front if running a lightweight jeep. Just another option for you.

At 2" you won't need any serious mods done like driveshafts or anything. You should get
- longer rear swaybar links and move your stock rears to the front
- longer shocks or extensions if you don't want the loss in travel
- bump stops to protect the shocks if you do
- cheap rear brake line drop bracket or make something yourself

Should be all set but you may want to have an alignment done. Just to get an idea of where you're at. Seems to differ jeep to jeep.

If the Steering feels light either adjustable front lowers or uppers to raise caster a bit. Not that important at 2" but very nice to have.

* very important when adding any lift to a jk
Loosen all CA and TB bolts with full weight of the jeep on its tires. Give the jeep a good shake then retorque all the bolts to spec. This frees all the bushings from bind.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:09 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
It will depend on the height. Google or call OME and see what their coils average on a 2 door. Do you have heavy modifications ie bumpers/winch/tire carrier ? Weight will bring it down some. Synergy offers many different sizes for 2 door and 4 door. If you get matching sizes front and back, on a light weight jeep the rake will still be retained. Recommended is 1" higher in the front if running a lightweight jeep. Just another option for you. At 2" you won't need any serious mods done like driveshafts or anything. You should get - longer rear swaybar links and move your stock rears to the front - longer shocks or extensions if you don't want the loss in travel - bump stops to protect the shocks if you do - cheap rear brake line drop bracket or make something yourself Should be all set but you may want to have an alignment done. Just to get an idea of where you're at. Seems to differ jeep to jeep. If the Steering feels light either adjustable front lowers or uppers to raise caster a bit. Not that important at 2" but very nice to have. * very important when adding any lift to a jk Loosen all CA and TB bolts with full weight of the jeep on its tires. Give the jeep a good shake then retorque all the bolts to spec. This frees all the bushings from bind.

Thank you man but I'm set on ome ... Most people say 2.5 to 3.5 avenge ... I been researching for a while but couldn't get full def answers. So I need input from guys that have one 2 inches ... But thank you for the info if I don't get my answer ill look into synergy
Old 10-14-2013, 02:29 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Get the specific coil numbers. OME makes like 15 or 18 different coils for the JK (light/medium/heavy/extra tall/2door/4door/diesel/etc/etc...), so saying you are getting the OME 2" could be pretty meaningless. Expect HD coils to give 3-3.5 (ish. Depending on if they are the 2door hd's, or the 4door hd's, or the diesel hd's )

And for what you 'need', spend some time figuring out what all of the different components do, so you will have some idea of what you might want at whatever height you end up at. (after driving with the lift, your 'need' could be completely different than some person on a forum who happens to reply.)

Last edited by nthinuf; 10-14-2013 at 02:41 AM.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:59 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

To do it right you will need longer sway bar links, longer shocks or extensions, front and rear adjustable track bars. Using a rear 2.5" raised track bar bracket would be best. You can get longer break lines or relocate the hard lines pretty easy. I would go with the standard coils over the hd as they are taller and stiffer. I have run both and the no loads were more comfortable on road. I ran them with Nitro sport shocks. You may want to add some bump stop once you get the lift on and max out the articulation as a 33" tire will likely rub on the fender a bit.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:41 AM
JK Freak

Give Northridge 4X4 a call. They will steer you in the right direction and explain all your options.

Old Man Emu JK Lift Package Deal
Old 10-14-2013, 09:03 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
To do it right you will need longer sway bar links, longer shocks or extensions, front and rear adjustable track bars. Using a rear 2.5" raised track bar bracket would be best. You can get longer break lines or relocate the hard lines pretty easy. I would go with the standard coils over the hd as they are taller and stiffer. I have run both and the no loads were more comfortable on road. I ran them with Nitro sport shocks. You may want to add some bump stop once you get the lift on and max out the articulation as a 33" tire will likely rub on the fender a bit.
Thank you that was the down and dirty I needed
Old 10-14-2013, 09:04 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by river2c
Give Northridge 4X4 a call. They will steer you in the right direction and explain all your options. Old Man Emu JK Lift Package Deal
Thank you thank you

Quick Reply: Newbie lift question time is short