Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Newbie to the jeep world ? On what's needed

Old 11-22-2011, 04:33 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie to the jeep world ? On what's needed

Hey guys! I have been searching this site and I come across a whole bunch of information. However, a bit confused on what to do and how. So, I like to get the monster xd wheels 18" and run 35 Nitto grappler tire. I am also looking at the tera flex bb 2.5" lift. My question is is there anything else that I need to add to my shopping cart?
Old 11-22-2011, 05:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sounds like a good start!
Old 11-22-2011, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Good setup. You will really like the tires. Post pics when you get it done
Old 11-22-2011, 06:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by DaK
My advice would be to learn to wheel it stock, then mod as your environment dictates.

Hook up with a local jeep club and or, go on local runs while stock. See what your Jeep can do compared to others and what you do and don't want to do with your vehicle. While out there talk with the people that have mod'ed their rigs. Ask them the following:

Why did you do it?
Where would you improve?
With what is available on the market today, what would you get and/or do differently?
Any regrets with any of the mods?

I don't want to put a damper on your mods. Just letting ya know it is better to wait and do the mods once.

Things you can do while you research your lift and tires.

Skids
Rock rails
Gears Going with bigger tires you are going to need taller gears.
Lockers (don't know if you have a rubicon)
Stronger axles (don't know if you have a rubicon)

Again, just my opinion.

I pretty much agree, the best bet is to go wheeling and if you like the group/places you go, ask others what they have/recommend. The one thing I will always recommend to anyone who wants to get into wheeling but doesn't have a couple thousand to drop; first things first get some rock sliders. if you decide to go play with your stock jeep on some sra's, you are sure to bang up the side of your jeep and make you decide to never go wheeling again. I personally think that before getting wheels or a lift or a winch or anything, get some some rock armor, perferably some rock sliders like the ace sliders or something similar. will make any trip out that much more enjoyable, as anytime you have to get winched over a rock you can say "oh man, if only I had a lift I coulda made that" instead of "OH GOD WHAT IS THAT NOISE WHAT IS HAPPENING TO MY POOR JEEP"

just my 2 cents. but definently find some jeeping folks, and go wheeling with them. it'll give you a good idea of what you want. I never thought I would want 35's and a bigger lift, or even a stubby bumper, or even one of those god awful snorkels, till I went on some runs with folks near me
Old 11-22-2011, 08:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DaK
My advice would be to learn to wheel it stock, then mod as your environment dictates.

Hook up with a local jeep club and or, go on local runs while stock. See what your Jeep can do compared to others and what you do and don't want to do with your vehicle. While out there talk with the people that have mod'ed their rigs. Ask them the following:

Why did you do it?
Where would you improve?
With what is available on the market today, what would you get and/or do differently?
Any regrets with any of the mods?

I don't want to put a damper on your mods. Just letting ya know it is better to wait and do the mods once.

Things you can do while you research your lift and tires.

Skids
Rock rails
Gears Going with bigger tires you are going to need taller gears.
Lockers (don't know if you have a rubicon)
Stronger axles (don't know if you have a rubicon)

Again, just my opinion.
^^^This.

Few people who mod their Jeeps are aware of what it'll do stock. You'll be very surprised. At the same time, you'll learn how it handles in various conditions, how it sounds and feels, and when you DO throw on a bunch of new stuff, you'll have a point of reference for what's working better, and what isn't.

Better to go slow and do it right the first time, than to throw $$ at it and get burned through trial and error.

Unless you're rich. Then, WTF...
Old 11-23-2011, 05:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

I started moding my Jeep while the wife and I were planning our wedding and paying off school loans. Needless to say, money was a little tight. The guys before me are spot on. When I first got my Jeep I wanted to jack it way up and get some big-ass tires. I liked the way it looked, and assumed it would make off-roading awesome. Due to lack of funds, I hit my first trail bone stock. I was blown away with what my stock X could do. I was slipping on some of the rocks, and had to pick my lines really carefully. After that run, and talking to the other Jeepers I ran into, I decided that new tires were the highest priority (the stock tires blow). Then I started to add some protection with rock sliders. Can't bang up my $20,000 toy too much. Then after getting stuck, I got a new bumper and winch. With the added weight, the 33" tires started to rub a little when flexing, so I just got a leveling kit. No need to go too high with just 33" tires. Just go out and enjoy your Jeep and you will figure out what you need as you go. If you don't go alone and have adequate recovery gear, you'll be surprised where your Jeep will go. So just get out and enjoy!

Quick Reply: Newbie to the jeep world ? On what's needed