Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Newbie 44 front axle question

Old 08-16-2016, 09:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ShutterBug
Just to save someone else some time: http://www.moparpartsoverstock.com/p.../P5160036.html Does anyone know the specs on this? It says thicker tubes, but how much thicker? And I assume the C's are the same.
Cs are a different PN then regular, however, I have yet to see a JK C bent. The tube bends at the C weld which the C gussets supports. I have googled it for over 3 years and asked this question 100s of times and No one has been able to prove to me that the actual JK C bends. There are photos of bent and shattered tubes and most that think they have a bent C is actually just the tube that's bent. The control arm brackets are also a bit heavier on the JKS44HD/J8.

And yes I have one.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-966261794.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	518.0 KB
ID:	654639  
Old 08-16-2016, 09:43 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jtphoto JK
Cs are a different PN then regular, however, I have yet to see a JK C bent. The tube bends at the C weld which the C gussets supports. I have googled it for over 3 years and asked this question 100s of times and No one has been able to prove to me that the actual JK C bends. There are photos of bent and shattered tubes and most that think they have a bent C is actually just the tube that's bent. The control arm brackets are also a bit heavier on the JKS44HD/J8.

And yes I have one.
I don't know for sure, but I bet the whole idea of gusseting your c's gives people the impression that it is the C that is weak. I just want to swap my entire axle, not just the housing. If I could do that for $800 I'd be happy!
Old 08-16-2016, 02:07 PM
JK Freak

And yes I have one.
Would you mind recommending what else you added to this housing? Sleeves....which knuckles...etc.
Old 08-16-2016, 03:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Cs are a different PN then regular, however, I have yet to see a JK C bent. The tube bends at the C weld which the C gussets supports. I have googled it for over 3 years and asked this question 100s of times and No one has been able to prove to me that the actual JK C bends.
That might be true. But a local Jeeper couldn't figure out why her steering knuckle wouldn't seat right. Looking at the videos and pictures, it looked like there was too much space between the ends of the yoke compared to the knuckle. The only conclusion she could come up with was that the C was bent.

Last edited by ShutterBug; 08-23-2016 at 03:05 AM.
Old 08-16-2016, 04:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by waterboy18
I have a 13 jku and looking at upgrading my front axle to a Dana 44. What other vehicles have the same width axles as the jku? Looking to do an axle swap on a budget.
Curious why you want a D44?

If you are just trying to beef up the housing, Teraflex makes there Tera30 housing that has bigger axle tubes, C's, etc and all your D30 guts fit in it. It'd probably be your cheapest option if you aren't trying to change gears, add a locker, chromoly axles, etc which is what jacks up the price.

If you are trying to add all the good stuff too. Then I'd recommend buying whoevers complete 44 you can find the best deal on, whether it's Teraflex, Dynatrac, Core44, etc. By the time you either find a take out Rubi axle, or the new housing that was posted, you still have to buy the locker, gears, axle shafts, etc. By that time you're near the cost of a rear axle housing.

I believe there is someone on this forum that is building D44/60 axles too. Fusion 4x4 maybe? Something like that.
Old 08-16-2016, 07:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by NeverStock
Would you mind recommending what else you added to this housing? Sleeves....which knuckles...etc.
Nothing added to strengthen the housing. These J8 tubes are plenty strong enough for the average wheeler.
IInternals include 5:38 Yukon gears, OX Locker with electric actuator, RCV axles. Factory Mopar balljoints, factory knuckles with Timken unit bearings. I run 37" Pitbulls on this set up.
This build complete cost approx $3000.. I built it myself. The PR44 housing alone is $1900-$2200.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:13 PM
JK Freak

Nothing added to strengthen the housing. These J8 tubes are plenty strong enough for the average wheeler.
IInternals include 5:38 Yukon gears, OX Locker with electric actuator, RCV axles. Factory Mopar balljoints, factory knuckles with Timken unit bearings. I run 37" Pitbulls on this set up.
This build complete cost approx $3000.. I built it myself. The PR44 housing alone is $1900-$2200.
Thank you...
Old 08-22-2016, 07:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is ur JK lifted ? I'm assuming so. Another reason to consider a dynatrac or other built D44 is that these companies account for a lifted JK and adjust caster angles so there's no driveline vibration/humming.
Old 08-23-2016, 01:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Ripa777
Is ur JK lifted ? I'm assuming so. Another reason to consider a dynatrac or other built D44 is that these companies account for a lifted JK and adjust caster angles so there's no driveline vibration/humming.
I also considered that , but that does not compensate for control arm angles. I prefer to use geometry correction brackets for the 2-4" lift range. I am not keen on using adjustable control arms up north here where road salt kills the threads of the adjusters. If I were going to lift higher like 6" I would buy an adjusted housing.

There are many things to consider when deciding what housing is best for you.

Quick Reply: Newbie 44 front axle question