Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Newb winch question

Old 09-19-2012, 07:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Newb winch question

I'm in the process of saving cash to purchase a winch/bumper...

Question is, why will I ever need a winch over 5-6k pulling capacity? Am I confused or is the capacity that I can pull limited to my anchor? That being said, isn't my jeep sub 4k lbs?

My apologies for my ignorance...

Confused err?
Old 09-19-2012, 07:37 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

General rule of thumb is you want a winch with a capacity 1.5 times greater than the vehicle. Thus, a winch in the 8K range is as low as you'd want to go.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Four Wheeler Bible Reference

Choosing Winch Capacity
Taken from Four-Wheeler's Bible: 2nd Edition page 205

QUOTE-The most important consideration is winch capacity. The manufactures all come pretty close to each other in terms of recomended capacity. The minimum capacity to look for is your gross vehicle weight (not curb weight) plus about 15%. If your pickup's GVW is 8,600 pounds, add 15% and you get 9890 pounds, rounded up to 10,000 pounds. The other rule of thumb is 1.5 to 2 times curb weight. If you anticipate harder-core situations, always opt for more capacity. As you will learn further on, rated power comes form the first (innermost) layer on the drum, so having the capacity to "pull your weight" from the outermost layer on the drum could come in handy someday. END QUOTE
I found these definitions on the internet
Curb Weight
The curb weight of your vehicle is the weight of the car with all of the standard equipment and amenities, but without any passengers, cargo or any other separately loaded items in it. Thus, the curb weight is the amount that the vehicle weighs when it's resting on the curb and not in use. This is generally the standard weight that the manufacturer assigns to the car.
Gross Vehicle Weight
The gross vehicle weight is the combined weight of the vehicle and all passengers and cargo pieces in "gross," that is to say, in total.
FINDING WEIGHT OFF JEEP WEBSITE
You can go to the Jeep website compare models to get an idea of the weight of your Jeep.
TIP:You need to select the type (sport, rubicon) in the drop down, and then you can click where it says dimensions & capabilities. Scoll down about half way to see the weight.
2DR SPEC'S LINK->Jeep - Compare Vehicle and Model Specifications - Highlights
4DR SPEC'S LINK->Jeep - Compare Vehicle and Model Specifications - Highlights
WEIGHT'S POSTED ON DOOR
You can also find the max safe drivable weight posted on the inside of your driver door on a sticker. Here is a picture of mine below stating the Gross Vehical Weight Rateing (GVWR) is 5100. While it's not the "Gross Weight" but "Max Gross Weight" it will give you a ball park figure.

BASE OFF ABOVE WHAT MY 2DR RUBICON NEEDS
So in my case based off the door sticker (not technically "Gross Weight") with 15% added it would be 5865 minium winch capacity. The curb weight from the Jeep link above is 4104 lbs. So that method (1-1/2X to 2X) would give a minimum range of 6156-8208.

OTHER CONSIDERATIONS
I personally would go with synthetic line (lighter, stronger, safer, won't rust) Its down sides are that it's more prown to abrasion, UV wear, not good with high heat). It's much cheaper to get one with synthetic then to upgrade.

Your only going to get the max pull from the very inside wrap around the drum. You want to keep about 5 loops on there at all times so it won't come off. Every wrap (going the full length of the drum) reduces pulling power by about 12%. So it's a good idea to have a bit higher rated winch for convince of not needing to pull out tons of cable.

Worth noting is that a snatch block will double your winches pulling power. It also uses more line so in a sticky situation it's a win-win.

Last edited by Rooster76; 09-19-2012 at 08:00 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your looking for a budget winch I would check out a JeepAddOns deal I found. It's a good winch and a great price.

LINK-> https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/spon...c-line-200819/

9000 lb winch with steel cable for $279 delivered to anywhere in the lower 48 states.
10,000 lb winches are $309 shipped to your door.
$349 for the 12K winches.

Lifetime Warranty on the mechanical.

Engo 9K and 10K winches are also available with synthetic lines and aluminum hawse fairleads!

Only $409 for a 9K with synthetic line and
$439 for a 10K with synthetic line.
AND BRAND NEW!!! 12K winch with synthetic line for only $489!!!

More new products!!!

Eight ton snatch block. $26.
Aluminum hawse fairlead. $25.
3/8" x 85' synthetic line with rock guard only $199!!!!

Only from JeepAddOns.com. You cannot get this special price on our website. You must call in to order. Call us today at 800-388-8637 to place an order at these prices!

Old 09-19-2012, 08:13 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the 12k synth line Engo winch, love it. Put 24 feet worth of tubular nylon around the last 24 feet and bang, instant line cover with additional length in abrasion guard.

Get the biggest pulling winch you can afford. Sure 8 k will usually get the job done, but if you're in a sticky situation its better to have too much than not enough.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow thanks for the thorough reply Rooster... You guys make this forum the best

Quick Reply: Newb winch question