Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

New wheels or stock wheels, what to do?

Old 08-05-2008, 02:38 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 4x4fn
I have an unlimited X model with 17" alluminum wheels and 17" goodyear AT tires. I think they are a 32". I dont know much about the cragar wheels other then they are steel and cheap in price. Would I be better off keeping my wheels. I was looking for a black wheel so to fit my budget I was looking at the cragar's. Also, going from an AT tire to a MT tire will be an improvement. Not sure if I should get just tires and a lift and hold off on the wheels or
now I see what you're saying, cragar wheels are good and durable and cheap, but IMO not that attractive looking. now, you can't keep your wheels if you're going to run33 tires, as they would rub inside. as i said before I would probably get the lift, maybe tires or wheels (whichever you can afford) and just save for the other. I drove my rubicon for a few months with a lift and regular tires until I was able to put on the ones I want it , now I hardly remember those days. but then is your jeep, so its your decision.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you would be ok with the stock wheels for now, maybe just get some mud terrains. I think your stock tires are equivilant to a 31" tire. Not sure on the back spacing or width of your stock wheels though. If you had to get spacers to space your wheels out, it wouldn't really be a whole lot more money to go with the cragar soft 8's. that way you could bump down to a 16" or even a 15" wheel (yes, 15's will fit if the back spacing is right, atleast with the soft 8's). It may cost you a little more initially this way, but down the road, tires will be cheaper than if you stick with ones that fit a 17" rim.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryno
33x12.5x16 tires will look good and beefy. Just make sure the wheels you get have appropriate backspacing. 4.5 inches of backspacing seems to be the most popular choice with 12.5" wide tires.

Are you going to do the install yourself?

$250 for lift + $270 for 5 wheels + $830 for 5 tires = $1350, not much left for anything else.
Cragar makes the soft 8 in 5" backspacing, 16" rim, how would that look with
5" of bs, can i just get some spacers to make up the difference. I dont want my tires tucked way under the wheel well, yet I dont want them hanging way out to far due to the law. Not in the marget right now for new fenders either.

Quick Reply: New wheels or stock wheels, what to do?