Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

New wheels or stock wheels, what to do?

Old 08-04-2008, 02:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New wheels or stock wheels, what to do?

Hey guys and gals, I need some of your expert advice. I am in the market for tires and rims and a lift for my jeep. (4 door) My wife has put a budget on this project $1500.00 which isnt much but I think I might be able to get it all done and within a couple hundred of my budget. I was thinking of going with cragar soft 8 steel wheels, black. They are like $74.99 a wheel from Qudratec, and 2.5" budget boost with shocks from Northridge is like $375.00. 33" BFG mt, I got a quote of like roughly $166.00 per tire. So my option is do I just get the tires and lift and keep my stock 17" wheels and get some better wheels down the road, like Pro-Comp extreme or Dick Cepec. Or go with the cragar wheels and be happy. I am not sure if I will like the look of new tires and lift with the stock wheels. What do you guys think I should do. I really want to get some black wheels but not sure how the cragar's are for a wheel. Anyway let me know what you would do.. Thanks

Chris
Old 08-04-2008, 02:23 PM
JK Freak

You can get 16x8 Cragar Soft 8s from Summit Racing for $54 each. 16" wheels will give you more sidewall for a more aggressive look.

$375 is a lot for a budget boost, especially when you can clear 33s without a lift. No lift = FREE.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ryno
You can get 16x8 Cragar Soft 8s from Summit Racing for $54 each. 16" wheels will give you more sidewall for a more aggressive look.

$375 is a lot for a budget boost, especially when you can clear 33s without a lift. No lift = FREE.
Awsome I will check out summit racing. I really want to get a lift though.

Also what size tire then would give me more sidewall or an aggresive look. Is it 33x12.5 16?

Correction....$249.94 for 2.5" bb with shock absorbors, what ever they are? From Tera Flex. Free shipping...

Last edited by 4x4fn; 08-04-2008 at 02:38 PM.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:45 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 4x4fn
Awsome I will check out summit racing. I really want to get a lift though.

Also what size tire then would give me more sidewall or an aggresive look. Is it 33x12.5 16?
33x12.5x16 tires will look good and beefy. Just make sure the wheels you get have appropriate backspacing. 4.5 inches of backspacing seems to be the most popular choice with 12.5" wide tires.

Are you going to do the install yourself?

$250 for lift + $270 for 5 wheels + $830 for 5 tires = $1350, not much left for anything else.

Last edited by Ryno; 08-04-2008 at 02:47 PM.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ryno
33x12.5x16 tires will look good and beefy. Just make sure the wheels you get have appropriate backspacing. 4.5 inches of backspacing seems to be the most popular choice with 12.5" wide tires.

Are you going to do the install yourself?

$250 for lift + $270 for 5 wheels + $830 for 5 tires = $1350, not much left for anything else.
I will not be doing the install my self. My local shop I think charges about 100.00 per hr, I figure a couple hrs. I think I just may go ahead with the cragar wheels and 33's. Thanks

Chris
Old 08-04-2008, 05:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you go with a budget boost, you can just get it with shock extension brackets to knock a little off the cost, and see if theres anyone on here from your area that would give you a hand installing it. A budget boost should really be pretty simple. But you should be ok with just the soft 8's and 33's. If you have a 4 door though, I'd go with the lift as well just to get it up a little fruther to avoid high centering it.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:42 PM
JK Freak

Im running 33" procomp MT's with Unique Soft 8's and it looks great...Ill eventually get around to the 2.5 Teraflex lift but right now it looks great!
Old 08-05-2008, 06:24 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you have a rubicon and 17s, I actually don't see the point of changing the tires for 33s, but maybe thats just me, I also wouldn't go for steelies and a smaller 16 rim. so I would just spend the money on a good lift, and be patient and build my rig slowly but the way i like it, would you really be happy with cragar wheels? last time I had cragar wheels was on my 84 2000 buck farm working truck, but then again maybe thats just me.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by robin
if you have a rubicon and 17s, I actually don't see the point of changing the tires for 33s, but maybe thats just me, I also wouldn't go for steelies and a smaller 16 rim. so I would just spend the money on a good lift, and be patient and build my rig slowly but the way i like it, would you really be happy with cragar wheels? last time I had cragar wheels was on my 84 2000 buck farm working truck, but then again maybe thats just me.
I have an unlimited X model with 17" alluminum wheels and 17" goodyear AT tires. I think they are a 32". I dont know much about the cragar wheels other then they are steel and cheap in price. Would I be better off keeping my wheels. I was looking for a black wheel so to fit my budget I was looking at the cragar's. Also, going from an AT tire to a MT tire will be an improvement. Not sure if I should get just tires and a lift and hold off on the wheels or
Old 08-05-2008, 02:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

not trying to rag on you, but i think its a mistake to not install a budget boost yourself. i just did mine on sunday and it took me about 2.5 hours of actual work (thats not counting the times i had to stop for rain and look for tools) it was very simple, unbolt a few things on each side, slide in the spacers, rebolt and presto your jeep is lifted. it would help if you had a second set of hands around, but i did it on my own without issue. like someone else suggested try to find a member to give you a hand. as far as wheels, i was in your same position. i ended up going with a set of black cragars and couldnt be happier. try www.tirepackage.com for the BFG M/Ts i got 33" BFG A/Ts for $123 a piece.

Logan

Quick Reply: New wheels or stock wheels, what to do?