Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

new wheels=new lug nuts?

Old 06-14-2010, 06:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new wheels=new lug nuts?

I picked up some used pro comp wheels (xtreme Alloy 7005) to mount my recently purchased 35s. I'm wondering if I need to buy new lug nuts or can I use the ones that came with my JK rubi wheels?
Old 06-14-2010, 07:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by nmwranglerx
I picked up some used pro comp wheels (xtreme Alloy 7005) to mount my recently purchased 35s. I'm wondering if I need to buy new lug nuts or can I use the ones that came with my JK rubi wheels?
I think you can use the stock ones, but it's really not good, buddy of mine used them on his cragars and he ended up busting off a lug. I got the Pro Comp lug nuts, i think they were made by gorilla or something like that. They are a great buy also because they act like wheel locks unless you have the key to get them off. I just keep it in the glove box and its never been an issue

Old 06-14-2010, 08:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by joneszj
buddy of mine used them on his cragars and he ended up busting off a lug
ooooh, that doesn't sound good. Yea, I looked at the pro comp lug nuts and suppose I should order those. Does the key to the lug nuts fit a standard 3/8" or 1/2" drive? I have a nice lug wrench that wouldn't work with the security nuts. Good looking wheels you got there by the way.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:38 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ooooh, that doesn't sound good. Yea, I looked at the pro comp lug nuts and suppose I should order those. Does the key to the lug nuts fit a standard 3/8" or 1/2" drive? I have a nice lug wrench that wouldn't work with the security nuts. Good looking wheels you got there by the way.
Usually the key is the same size hex as the rest of the lug nuts..
Old 06-15-2010, 12:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

I bought the Gorilla set because I wanted Black Lugs and figured that if I was going to pay a grip for new wheels and tires, might as well pay a pinch for some security as well. They look great and the security of ALL the lug nuts being "locking" is a bonus. They were smart too and made it a 23 lug set so you get 3 for the spare too.
I don't think there would necessarily be a problem with the factory lug nuts other than they are weaker and tend to come apart (2 piece design ) after repeated removals. One thing to look for when changing wheels and lug nuts is the seat angle (probably the wrong term here). Most wheels (and therefor lug nuts) have the same angle but some are slightly different and, while they may "work", they could cause issues down the road. There are also some that use a "shoulder" design instead of just a tapered angle. Anyhow, Google may have more info on that, just wanted to throw it out there as an F.Y.I.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

You can use the same ones. But new ones are always a plus
Old 06-15-2010, 05:46 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what they said.....
Old 06-15-2010, 07:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Shizzlehappens
I bought the Gorilla set because I wanted Black Lugs and figured that if I was going to pay a grip for new wheels and tires, might as well pay a pinch for some security as well. They look great and the security of ALL the lug nuts being "locking" is a bonus. They were smart too and made it a 23 lug set so you get 3 for the spare too.
I don't think there would necessarily be a problem with the factory lug nuts other than they are weaker and tend to come apart (2 piece design ) after repeated removals. One thing to look for when changing wheels and lug nuts is the seat angle (probably the wrong term here). Most wheels (and therefor lug nuts) have the same angle but some are slightly different and, while they may "work", they could cause issues down the road. There are also some that use a "shoulder" design instead of just a tapered angle. Anyhow, Google may have more info on that, just wanted to throw it out there as an F.Y.I.
any chance you know the part number for your set?
Old 06-15-2010, 08:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

You use a socket on the key. so what ever drive size you already have you can use.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WhiskyPirate
any chance you know the part number for your set?
21783Q23BC from Gorilla and it's 92806.9003 on Quadratec

Quick Reply: new wheels=new lug nuts?