Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

New Trail Master 3" Lift

Old 08-16-2010, 02:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Trail Master 3" Lift

So I was on Quadratec today just surfing the new stuff that came out in this summers catalog. I saw this 3" lift kit by Trail Master for $320.00

Here is the link
hxxp://quadratec.com/products/16106_201.htm

Just wondering if anyone has purchased this. What the installation is like. And if it is worth getting. I don't do a lot of rocks. Just mud beach and logging roads, but putting 34" DuraTracs on so need a lift. For $320 it looks nice.

Thanks
Old 08-16-2010, 02:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trail Master

If you are already running a 2.5 inch bb, why would you spend that kind of money for another 1/2 inch of budget boost? You need to jump on up to a spring boost if you are going to spend the bucks. Just my 2 cents. When I get the money saved up I am going to go with a 4 inch teraflex. I reread your post and you dont have the Teraflex bb checked off. My bad. I think I would go with the Teraflex unit myself.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:52 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

It's a BB with extras.

No caster correction, and the same front driveshaft issues as everyone else with a lifted auto...

For the installation, look at any of the write-ups in the suspension write-ups area. Same steps, whether it's a coil or spacer lift. Then open the DIY alignment one to adjust that front adj trackbar.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by grady
If you are already running a 2.5 inch bb, why would you spend that kind of money for another 1/2 inch of budget boost? You need to jump on up to a spring boost if you are going to spend the bucks. Just my 2 cents. When I get the money saved up I am going to go with a 4 inch teraflex. I reread your post and you dont have the Teraflex bb checked off. My bad. I think I would go with the Teraflex unit myself.
Yah man its just hard to see all these other lifts that are cheaper and in most things if you shop around you find a cheaper product that is just as good but so far from everyone TF is the way to go.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nthinuf
It's a BB with extras.

No caster correction, and the same front driveshaft issues as everyone else with a lifted auto...

For the installation, look at any of the write-ups in the suspension write-ups area. Same steps, whether it's a coil or spacer lift. Then open the DIY alignment one to adjust that front adj trackbar.

What front drive shaft problems? I thought if you stayed in the 2.5-3" range there were no drive shaft issues?
Old 08-16-2010, 07:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK703
What front drive shaft problems? I thought if you stayed in the 2.5-3" range there were no drive shaft issues?
there are a few that report ds issues with their 2.5 kits..
Old 08-16-2010, 10:08 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by JK703
Flex it and check the clearance after the install. If it is anywhere even close to the crossmember skid or the corner of the tranny pan, see post 6 in this thread:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...vs.-Skid-plate

You will also want to keep an eye on the rzeppa (tcase end of the shaft). It will be pinched from the angle and may start spitting grease. They are not serviceable, so once the rzeppa or a torn boot start losing grease, it's just a matter of time. a few people have indicated that they are manually greasing the shaft to prolong the life, but...
Old 08-17-2010, 08:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Flex it and check the clearance after the install. If it is anywhere even close to the crossmember skid or the corner of the tranny pan, see post 6 in this thread:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...vs.-Skid-plate

You will also want to keep an eye on the rzeppa (tcase end of the shaft). It will be pinched from the angle and may start spitting grease. They are not serviceable, so once the rzeppa or a torn boot start losing grease, it's just a matter of time. a few people have indicated that they are manually greasing the shaft to prolong the life, but...
Thanks for that thread. So basically if I do the 2.5" I need to cut a notch 5x2" off of the skid plate. Then replace that clamp thing with a zip-tie and I shouldn't have to worry right?
Old 08-17-2010, 10:32 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Depends on how much actual downtravel you have. People that disconnect and have longer travel shocks are more likely to run into contact issues than people than don't disconnect and have shorter shocks. Best advice is to flex and check

Also make sure your front axle is centered. If it is off to the passenger side to far, the driveshaft is moved closer to the tranny pan.

Last edited by nthinuf; 08-17-2010 at 10:34 AM.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Depends on how much actual downtravel you have. People that disconnect and have longer travel shocks are more likely to run into contact issues than people than don't disconnect and have shorter shocks. Best advice is to flex and check

Also make sure your front axle is centered. If it is off to the passenger side to far, the driveshaft is moved closer to the tranny pan.
Alright thanks for the advice man. Yah I won't be disconnecting. But the lift is going to be going on this Fall the stock tires are almost done.

Another quick question. I know a lot of people on here run Wheel Spacers, but I was talking to a couple friends from PA and they have driving jeeps their whole life and told me to stay away from wheel spacers because of the tendency to break which would screw you. Now is that them talking about older technology and not knowing the newer wheel spacers strengths or is it personal preference?

Quick Reply: New Trail Master 3" Lift