Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Is a new track bar worth it?

Old 11-21-2012, 05:53 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys

I have a 2012 JK with Teraflex 2,5 lift and BFG 33" both installed on my Jeep on day one.
I recently installed a Teraflex monster track bar and a few days later front lower control arms.

The trackbar made a HUGE difference in handling.

Before, every time I transferred weight from one side to the other, I needed to adjust my stearing input..... I didn't realise it, it just felt spongy on the hard corners. Like on and off ramps to highways and also when flicking diagonaly from one side of a sand dune over to the other. I thought it was a Jeep thing.

After the trackbar install, my Jeep feels like a car.....hahaha.
The cornering feels solid and zero steering adjustmen required as the weight transfers.

Regards
Paul
Old 11-21-2012, 06:05 PM
JK Jedi

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladimer
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I was looking at the RC track bar and can't seem to get a solid answer on if it's a good buy or not. There is a lot of talk about the BDS track bar using a TRE mount which basically means it sucks? And the RC apparently uses the same mount on the end? I unfortunately don't exactly know why that is a bad thing as all the posts I found regarding it simply just say its bad.

I offroad it a couple times a month at most and its nothing 'crazy', I'm more interested in overlanding. I just don't want to be replacing bushings in 8 months because it wore out just from normal use.
I'm using RC's adj front trackbar. Been on for over 2 yrs now, no issues at all. Just simply an adjustable track bar.
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010041.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	391115
Old 11-21-2012, 06:15 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rock Krawler has a nice adjustable track bar. Hit Chris up at JeepAdOns and he will hook you up.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:15 AM
JK Super Freak

In addition to centering your axle, my understanding is that the stock one is super weak and bends a lot causing the steering input mentioned above. I'm going to get one just because of that.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:34 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 4W-Jive
In addition to centering your axle, my understanding is that the stock one is super weak and bends a lot causing the steering input mentioned above. I'm going to get one just because of that.
Does this go the same for the rear? I asked in another post about my rear being of a 1/2" and effecting handling. Will the stock rear flex enough to affect handling on 3" lift? Trying to figure out whether it's worth replacing. Sorry to the op if this is jacking your thread
Old 11-22-2012, 08:47 AM
JK Newbie

Go with the JKS front adjustable track bar. I have both front and rear and they are a lot stronger than stock and have the stock type rubber bushings to kill vibration from being transmitted through the suspension, but still flex great. I would stay away from anything that has HIEM joints, they are too harsh and will wear out faster.
Contact Dave at Northridge 4x4, he will give you a great deal.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:54 AM
JK Freak

The stock track bars work just fine for a Jeep with minimal (less than 2") or no lift. The higher you lift the Jeep, the more off center your axle becomes and the greater need for an adjustable track bar and/or bracket to re-center it. I've used the Teraflex monster bar, RK, and JKS with no problems.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheTerminator
Get an adjustable track bar. It will center the axle and help a bit with bump steer.
x3, fixing bump steer is the biggest reason to get a adjustable track bar, I am surprised sometimes the factory track bar isnt adjustable

Quick Reply: Is a new track bar worth it?