Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Is a new track bar worth it?

Old 10-26-2012, 01:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is a new track bar worth it?

Hi guys,

So turns out the bolt on my track bar was a bit loose and has had some play in it for awhile, the bushing is probably a little degraded and could use replacing.

Question is, I have a 2.5" BB with 33" tires. Would I get any benefit in getting an aftermarket track bar? or should I just go with an OEM. If I am replacing something I would like it to be better instead of equal but wondering if I get any other plus besides added strength of the bar itself.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:17 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go big or go home brah!

Haha in all seriousness I'd like to know as well someone with experience please inform us
Old 10-26-2012, 02:07 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Originally Posted by Vladimer
Hi guys,

So turns out the bolt on my track bar was a bit loose and has had some play in it for awhile, the bushing is probably a little degraded and could use replacing.

Question is, I have a 2.5" BB with 33" tires. Would I get any benefit in getting an aftermarket track bar? or should I just go with an OEM. If I am replacing something I would like it to be better instead of equal but wondering if I get any other plus besides added strength of the bar itself.
Install a 9/16" bolt it's slightly larger than stock and should tighten it up.
of course check the bushing for damage.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by chris@offroadevolution
Install a 9/16" bolt it's slightly larger than stock and should tighten it up.
of course check the bushing for damage.
Thanks Chris, I'lll probably do that for the time being.

Anyone else know if investing in an aftermarket track bar has any benefit for my setup if I were to get one?
Old 10-26-2012, 11:03 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Vladimer

Thanks Chris, I'lll probably do that for the time being.

Anyone else know if investing in an aftermarket track bar has any benefit for my setup if I were to get one?
You'll be able to center your front axle as well. After the 2.5" lift, you'll be ~.5" off center. Not too bad to through sensors off, but some people notice. You can get a RC adj trackbar for 2.5"-4" lifts, JKS adj trackbar for 0"-6" lifts, and a few more more expensive ones.

If you can spare the money, buy the Rough Country one since it's all you need and only costs $110 shipped to your door. Also get Grade 8 bolts to put in it. The stock bolts are bad for your Jeep.

Here's a couple examples of the stock bolts eating my trackbar bushings and giving me Death Wobble.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-941228791.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	382800   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2478447435.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	382801  
Old 10-26-2012, 11:05 PM
JK Junkie

PS also, you can normally buy a brand new track bar off CL or under $50. I see many sell for $25. An those are new off 2013's. if you do that, be sure and upgrade the bolts.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:12 AM
JK Newbie

I ordered an adjustable track bar with my 2.5" Rubicon Express lift because the salesman said I needed it to center the axle for alignment. It wasn't in my shipment, a whole other story, and so I installed the lift and 35's without it. I can't visibly see any offset in the axle, the steering wheel is perfectly centered still, and I can't notice anything while driving it. I'll probably put on the adjustable track bar at some point when it arrives, but as of now I see no functional need for it. Stronger components is always a plus, but at 2.5" of lift it seems like a toss-up.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:14 AM
JK Freak

Get an adjustable track bar. It will center the axle and help a bit with bump steer.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TheTerminator
Get an adjustable track bar. It will center the axle and help a bit with bump steer.
X2. Compared to the other costs of owning a JK, a couple hundred to center the axle is worth it.
The following users liked this post:
drjen (06-20-2022)
Old 11-20-2012, 09:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I was looking at the RC track bar and can't seem to get a solid answer on if it's a good buy or not. There is a lot of talk about the BDS track bar using a TRE mount which basically means it sucks? And the RC apparently uses the same mount on the end? I unfortunately don't exactly know why that is a bad thing as all the posts I found regarding it simply just say its bad.

I offroad it a couple times a month at most and its nothing 'crazy', I'm more interested in overlanding. I just don't want to be replacing bushings in 8 months because it wore out just from normal use.

Quick Reply: Is a new track bar worth it?