Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

New Tires and Wheels

Old 02-15-2013, 05:45 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Tires and Wheels

So I have some puny 29s that came with my 2010 Unlimited along with the stock 15 steelies. I had planned on changing them but had a kid and other things that came up that prevented me from spending the money at the time. So now my tires tread has worn down and so it looks like I will be getting new ones. So I don't want to lift it right now (wife is against it right now with our baby etc) so I was looking for the largest tire that I can throw on without any rubbing issues.

I was looking at getting a combo such as this Pro Comp Xtreme All Terrain Radial Tire on 51 Series Steel Wheel Qty 5 for Jeep® Vehicles with 5x4.5 Bolt Pattern - Quadratec

Is it worth it and would it fit? I believe from what I have read I should be able to fit 33s...though som trimming may be required.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The jk bolt pattern is 5on5.
And get some wheels with 4.50" backspacing or less.

That backspacing will make it easier on you when you up grade later down the road.

Also some steel 15"/16" wheels will rub the caliber.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:16 AM
JK Newbie

Correct I chose the wrong set. I currently have 15 steelies now. I don't think they are rubbing the calipers. Any recommendations?

Last edited by anthony20031; 02-15-2013 at 06:29 AM.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never heard of a 16" wheel having the rubbing issues that some 15's have. And most of the rubbing issues are on Rubis which have a bigger caliper (or something similar). It's tough to choose a wheel size because a lot of it has to do with what you can afford. Many/most 15" wheels will be fine. Just stick with the right BS and you should be OK. I want to say the people I know running 15's have about 3.75" of BS. Tires for 15" wheels are significantly less than 16's or 17's. Some people with 15's may end up having issues with aftermarket steering components like tie rods if you ever need to replace them so keep that in mind.

16's remove the rubbing issue completely and will help improve some on road driving/handling. Tire selection up to 35's is great but the cost begins to go up now. When I was buying my first set of 35's 3 years ago there was a $75 cost difference between tires for 15's vs 16's. Big cost difference but I could not find a 15" wheel that would fit my Rubi.

17's is probably the best choice to go with if you ever plan on going bigger than 35's. Most 37's are offered on 17" or bigger wheels so if you have 16's you choices are limited. 15's and you basically will need to get new wheels since I don;t think anyone makes a 37" tire for a 15" wheel.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:12 AM
JK Newbie

Not sure I would go with bigger than 37 but I guess I should never say never. Right now I am looking at 16s at Discount Tire Direct. Am I misssing something? The packages that they have for 16s only includes 29" tires? Seems odd to me

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...=16&vid=016867
Old 02-15-2013, 07:23 AM
JK Super Freak

You can't really use any of those sites where you search by vehicle. It's only going to give you the factory options so in your case, 29".

You need to use the search by tire size option, select the size you want and go from there. I believe dicsount tire is a JKF sponsor (they at least used to be...) so I would find their contact info on here and call them. They can help you much more on everything you want including price with shipping.

Start here Tire Search By Size - Discount Tire Direct

Then call the JKF rep. If this place is no longer a sposnor, try Tread Depot. Great prices on tires there.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Also, you "should" be able to fit 33's without a lift as long as you are not stuffing your wheels off-road. The original 31's you posted are still smaller than the 32's that come on the Sahara and Rubi. Pretty sure a 33 would be fine.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:39 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

I just put 285/75-16's on mine they are supposed to be ~33" but actually measure out just over 32" mounted on the jku. Plenty of room no rubbing and look much better then stock.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:43 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks mpkelly. I actually just noticed that your in Bridgewater, MA. I grew up in Plymouth, MA and actyually spent a lot of time in Bridgewater at the indoor soccer dome there. Moved to Florida about 8 years ago though......not to sidetrack the thread lol
Old 02-15-2013, 08:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by anthony20031
Thanks mpkelly. I actually just noticed that your in Bridgewater, MA. I grew up in Plymouth, MA and actyually spent a lot of time in Bridgewater at the indoor soccer dome there. Moved to Florida about 8 years ago though......not to sidetrack the thread lol

****still off topic......Lot's of us Jk guys around the area now. I actually grew up in Quincy so moving to E. Bridgewater was a bit of an adjustmment with no ocean nearby! I like it though....I have some land, space between my house and neighbors, cool scenery and lots of deer/turkey/rabbits running around but still close to civilazation! Plymouth was supposed to get a hollywood movie studio and become the "hollywood of the east" but so far those plans look like they fell through. That's good for me as it keeps one of my favorite golf courses open, Waverly Oaks.

***On topic** Make sure you post up pics of whatever wheel/tire combo you go with.

Quick Reply: New Tires and Wheels